Reason Foundation is pleased to announce the finalists for the 2018 Bastiat Prize for Journalism, which is awarded to writers who best explain the importance of freedom with originality, wit, and eloquence. The five finalists are:
- Gustavo Arellano, Los Angeles Times
- Conor Friedersdorf, The Atlantic
- Bonnie Kristian, The Week
- Jake van der Kamp, South China Morning Post
- Bari Weiss, The New York Times
Established in 2002, the Bastiat Prize is named after Frédéric Bastiat, whose brilliant, witty essays explained, “The solution to the problems of human relationships is to be found in liberty.”
“This year’s finalists are all erudite and persuasive writers who consistently make the case for freedom and against tyranny,” said Julian Morris, founder of the Bastiat Prize and vice president at Reason Foundation. “What’s more, they all write for mainstream media outlets, suggesting that there is widespread demand for these ideas.”
This year, nominations for the Bastiat Prize were made by an international committee and then the finalists were selected by Reason Foundation. The winner will be chosen by an esteemed panel of five judges:
- Tom Palmer, Executive Vice President for International Programs, Atlas Network
- Louis Rossetto, Founder, Wired
- Mohit Satyanand, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Liberty Institute
- Rebecca Weisser, Former Opinion Page Editor, The Australian
- Jamie Whyte, Director of Research, Institute of Economic Affairs
The winner of the 2018 Bastiat Prize will be honored at the Reason Media Awards at FreedomFest in Las Vegas, NV, on July 14. The Bastiat Prize winner will receive $10,000, the runner-up will earn $5,000 and the third-place will get $1,000.
Tickets to the Reason Media Awards at FreedomFest are available here.
About Reason Foundation
Reason Foundation is a nonprofit think tank dedicated to advancing free minds and free markets. Reason Foundation produces respected public policy research on a variety of issues and publishes the critically acclaimed Reason magazine and its website www.reason.com. For more information please visit www.reason.org.
Digital Communications Manager
Reason Foundation, Reason magazine, Reason.tv