A few interesting results thus far from Arizona’s slate of ballot measures:
- Proposition 106: By a 55-44 margin, Arizona voters thumbed their noses at federal health care reform by passing the Arizona Health Insurance Reform Amendment. This constitutional amendment prohibits any rules or regulations forcing state residents to participate in a health-care system (read: ObamaCare) and protecting their right to pay for private health insurance. Missouri voters passed a similar initiative earlier this year, as did Oklahoma voters tonight.
- Proposition 107: By a 60-40 margin, Arizonans passed this constitutional ban on affirmative action programs in government employment, public education and contracting. Nebraska passed a similar amendment in 2008, while Colorado voters shot one down that same year.
- Proposition 109: Over 56% of voters rejected a proposed constitutional amendment that would have made hunting, fishing and harvesting wildlife a constitutional right and thwart future ballot measures to limit the right of Arizona residents to hunt and fish.
- Proposition 113: Arizonans obviously are not keen on the card-check unionization sought by President Obama and labor unions, judging by their 61-39% vote in favor of the Save Our Secret Ballot Amendment. The constitutional amendment guarantees workers the right to a secret-ballot vote on any proposal to unionize. Consider it a pre-emptive strike against the Employee Free Choice Act, or at least an obstacle.
- Proposition 203: Arizona’s latest salvo at a medical marijuana law looks like it will come down to the wire, hovering around 50-50 with votes still being counted.
Interestingly, Arizona voters also blew at least a $500 million hole into the state budget overnight by rejecting Props 301 and 302, which would have transferred voter-established land conservation and early education funds to the general fund to help balance the budget deficit. Neither measure garnered more than 30 percent support. After several years of budget turmoil, things aren’t going to be looking up here anytime soon.