“If you expect us to do something different you have to give us the opportunity to craft something.”— Michelle McVicker, principal at Metro Nashville Public Schools
Student Based Budgeting in the News:
School Leaders Speak Out in Support of Student-Based Budgeting
Chattanooga’s Metro Ideas Project hosted an event in which school leaders shared their experiences with the funding system.
Memphis-Shelby County Schools to Pilot Student-Based Budgeting
Tennessee’s largest district seeks to improve funding equity across schools.
Kansas Supreme Court Schedules Oral Arguments for School Finance Litigation
Oral arguments to address the adequacy of the state’s school finance system have been set for September.
Student Based Budgeting 101:
A Tale of Two Teacher Salaries
When implementing student-based budgeting a key decision is whether to use average or actual salaries. What are the various tradeoffs?
Best Practices Spotlight:
Ed Build’s Interactive Map Highlights Funding Inequities
School funding systems can create island school districts with glaring inequities.
Follow School Finance Groups and Experts on Twitter:
- Center for American Progress @EdProgress
- Education Research Strategies @ERStrategies
- Center for Reinventing Public Education @CRPE_UW
- Afton Partners @aftonpartners
- Edunomics Lab @EdunomicsLab
- Public Impact @publicimpact
- EdBuild: @EdBuild
- Reason Foundation @LisSnell
- Reason Foundation @AaronGarthSmith
- Reason Foundation @TKoteskey76