Reason Foundation (“Reason”), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, seeks support for the reconfiguration of its existing two-person accounting department. The primary goal is to provide separation of duties between the traditional accounting role and the formal role of the Chief Financial Officer as reviewer and approver. Data entry into the accounting system is performed by a part-time bookkeeper.
Reason Foundation operates on an accrual basis with a fiscal year end of September 30. Books are maintained in Sage100 hosted on an external server. Financials are prepared monthly and shared with the finance committee no later than the 20th of each month. Reason staff includes 70 full-time employees, 3-6 hourly employees and many independent contractors paid either through semi-monthly payroll or through accounts payable.
- Performs general cost accounting and other related duties for the organization.
- Prepares monthly balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements.
- Codes invoices, reconciles accounts, and assists in the closing of monthly books.
- Reconciles bank accounts at least monthly, verifies deposits, and addresses inquiries from banks.
- Reconciles cash disbursement accounts, payroll, customer accounts, and other financial accounts; manages accounts receivable collections.
- Provides outside auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit.
- Coordinates with software vendor to maintain accounting software systems; recommends updates to enhance the accounting software/processes.
- Maintains knowledge of acceptable accounting practices and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Additional responsibilities could include developing and tracking KPIs, marketing analytics, and other business analysis, based on candidates interest, experience, and desire for full-time employment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles as applied to nonprofit accounting.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, and accounting software.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or related field, required.
- Familiarity with SAGE100 preferred
This role can be part-time, or full-time with additional analytical responsibilities. Candidates must be able to work out of Reason’s Los Angeles office at least one day per week.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.