Are you a fast, careful writer who loves free minds and free markets? Reason wants to hire you. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to write quickly and clearly for a mass audience, an in-depth understanding of politics and public policy, and an appreciation for the libertarian worldview.
Candidates should be comfortable working in a flexible, collaborative environment taking edits and assignments, but also interested in pitching ideas of their own. We always appreciate applicants who already have an area of expertise, but we’re especially looking for someone who is comfortable doing a little bit of everything, from exploring the details of tax legislation to reporting on statehouse shenanigans, police misconduct, and the latest in unregulated cloning technology. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Job duties include:
- Writing news items corresponding to events of the day for Reason.com
- Pitching and reporting out longer-form stories in your area(s) of interest
- Crafting topical pieces for Reason’s print magazine
- Assisting with other magazine duties as assigned
- Journalism and/or professional writing experience
- Solid grasp of journalistic practices
- Sharp organizational and writing skills
- Ability to analyze and package newsworthy stories from a libertarian angle
Send clips and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.