Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
- Why is the CDC Being Anti-Science on State Liquor Privatization?
May 14, 2013, 2:26pm
- State Liquor Privatization Update
Subsection of Annual Privatization Report 2013: State Government Privatization
April 22, 2013
- Washington State Enters New Era of Liquor Privatization
May 31, 2012, 10:42am
- Washington State Approves Privatization of State Liquor Monopoly; Other States May Follow
Washington State to become first state to fully privatize state's wholesale, retail liquor monopoly
May 31, 2012
- Will States Toast Liquor Privatization in 2012?
Reviewing the landscape for divesting state alcohol monopolies
February 3, 2012
- Getting a Beer in Iowa Is Tougher Than You Think
The Ames straw poll is on Saturday. You probably need a drink.
August 12, 2011
- Obama's War on Fun
The president breathes new life into the Nanny State
May 17, 2011
- New at Reason: Review of State Privatization Issues in 2010 and Today
February 18, 2011, 3:48pm
- Wet at Last
Dallas legalizes alcohol.
February 1, 2011
- When Booze Was Banned but Pot Was Not
What can today’s antiprohibitionists learn from their predecessors?
January 13, 2011
- Prohibitionists: Leave Us Alone!
The government has no business attacking caffeinated alcoholic drinks
January 6, 2011
- No Booze for You
If state alcohol monopolies were good at serving consumers, they'd have no reason to exist.
January 5, 2011
- Nudgers vs. Nannies
The civil war between British busybodies
January 4, 2011
- Loco Over Four Loko
The moral panic behind the ban
November 24, 2010
- The Other Big Debate This Election Cycle -- The 'Wets' vs. 'Drys'
State monopolies on liquor sales don't create safer societies than states with privatized sales
Anthony Randazzo and Jason Mercier
November 1, 2010
- Ending Government Liquor Monopolies
October 29, 2010, 4:36pm
- Abolish Drunk Driving Laws
If lawmakers are serious about saving lives, they should focus on impairment, not alcohol.
October 11, 2010
- Reform, Transportation Trump Revenue-Neutrality in Virginia ABC Privatization Plan
October 8, 2010, 5:00am
- Reform, Transportation Trump Revenue-Neutrality: The Rationale for ABC Privatization, Part 2
Streamlining the state, investing in needed transportation should be the focus, not revenue-neutrality
October 7, 2010
- Wine Snobs and Suds Swillers Unite!
Legislation oozing its way up the Hill threatens open markets in beer, wine, and liquor.
July 8, 2010
- Costco Steps Up for Liquor Privatization in WA State
May 26, 2010, 6:20pm
- Gin, Girls, and Governance
Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman on personal freedom, free speech, and the state
May 10, 2010
- Cocktails Cops Can't Resist
Bartenders revive classic cocktails. The law responds by reviving classic crackdowns.
April 2, 2010
- Too Much Fun
Caffeinated alcoholic drinks draw the feds’ wrath for candor in advertising.
March 30, 2010
- Keep Your Laws Off My Body
The case for legalizing drugs, prostitution, organ sales, and other consensual acts.
March 4, 2010
- Fight the Power
The unfulfilled promise of “constitutional conservatism”
February 24, 2010
- Virginia is For (Liquor) Lovers!
January 26, 2010, 1:53pm
- Why Privatizing Liquor Stores in Virginia to Fund Transportation Makes Sense
July 22, 2009, 2:12pm
- The Catastrophe of What Passes for Alcohol Policy Analysis
What costs does alcohol impose on California's taxpayers?
Policy Brief 78
May 12, 2009
- Which States Make the Most Beer?
April 21, 2009, 6:19pm
- Nothing to Toast in California's Proposed 'Dime a Drink' Tax
False claims about alcohol's costs and lost wages are being used to push tax increases
April 20, 2009
- California's Dime a Drink Tax Proposal
April 17, 2009, 10:07am
- New Documentary Beer Wars and Live Event With Ben Stein On April 16th
April 6, 2009, 5:19pm
- An American Beer Revolution
Reason.tv video on the surge in craft beers
March 9, 2009
- Report: Drinkers Earn More Money Than Non-Drinkers
Social drinkers who hang out in bars bring home even bigger paychecks
September 14, 2006
- No Booze? You May Lose
Why Drinkers Earn More Money Than Nondrinkers
Bethany L. Peters and Edward Stringham
September 1, 2006
Page 1 of 1
- Why is the CDC Being Anti-Science on State Liquor Privatization? (5/14)
- State Liquor Privatization Update (4/22)
- Washington State Enters New Era of Liquor Privatization (5/31)
- Washington State Approves Privatization of State Liquor Monopoly; Other States May Follow (5/31)
- Will States Toast Liquor Privatization in 2012? (2/3)
- Brian Doherty
- Nick Gillespie
Editor in Chief, Reason.com and Reason TV
- Katherine Mangu-Ward
Managing Editor, Reason
- Jacob Sullum
- Jesse Walker
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.