- Despite record profits and high gasoline prices, Shell Oil Co. plans to close its Bakersfield refinery in October. It produces 2% of California's gasoline and 6% of its diesel fuel, which means an already tight fuel market is about to get even tighter. Drivers throughout the state are blaming Shell, but the real villain is the state's burdensome regulations and punitive taxes.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Whoís to blame?
- How to Avoid Closing Washington State Parks (5/17)
- Give Managed Lane Conversions Time (5/16)
- Why is the CDC Being Anti-Science on State Liquor Privatization? (5/14)
- Louisiana Republicans Introduce Bills to Replicate Massachusetts's Pro-Union, Anti-Privatization “Pacheco Law” (5/9)
- 40th Anniversary of the Rockefeller Drug Laws: Time to Re-think Sentencing Policy (5/8)