- Despite record profits and high gasoline prices, Shell Oil Co. plans to close its Bakersfield refinery in October. It produces 2% of California's gasoline and 6% of its diesel fuel, which means an already tight fuel market is about to get even tighter. Drivers throughout the state are blaming Shell, but the real villain is the state's burdensome regulations and punitive taxes.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Whoís to blame?
- TSA Behavior Detection Blasted by GAO (12/5)
- Privatization & Government Reform Newsletter #2 (Dec 2013 edition) (12/3)
- The Search for a National Freight Policy (12/2)
- More Boasts from California Contractor Regulators For Wasting Time and Money (11/29)
- Massachusetts State and Municipal Retiree Systems Costly, Underfunded (11/29)