- Despite record profits and high gasoline prices, Shell Oil Co. plans to close its Bakersfield refinery in October. It produces 2% of California's gasoline and 6% of its diesel fuel, which means an already tight fuel market is about to get even tighter. Drivers throughout the state are blaming Shell, but the real villain is the state's burdensome regulations and punitive taxes.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Whoís to blame?
- California 2014 High Speed Rail Business Plan Is Off Track (3/6)
- The Intentionally Unrealistic FY2015 Budget (3/4)
- Shallal's Top-Down Plan for D.C. Schools Hurts Parent Choice (3/3)
- Richmond CARES? (3/2)
- Government Could Improve the Development of Vehicle to Vehicle Communication by Getting Out of the Way (2/27)