Turns out, it is hard to say.
How 'sprawl' became a bad word.
A fun presentation of the two sides:
'Green acres is the place for me' (or The upsides of sprawl)
1. Land is cheaper, so housing is, too.
2. I can afford a decent-sized yard.
3. It's quieter and less congested.
4. The shopping center is up the road.
5. Most of my neighbors are like me.
6. It's only a half-hour drive to work.
'They paved paradise and put up a parking lot' (or The downsides of sprawl)
1. Farmland, forests are stripped clean.
2. Runoff pollutes streams.
3. Everything looks the same.
4. No one walks; everyone gets fatter.
5. Driving creates congestion and smog.
6. Cars, cars, cars.