Or at least it would have had a county executive not "prohibited the county from privatizing a jail" -- now residents faces a 1 mill tax increase, says Beaver County (PA) Commissioners Chairman Dan Donatella. That equates to slightly more than $2 million -- "That's exactly what we lost from privatization, and it's all based on the judge's opinion and ruling," said Donatella. "It's a sad day for the taxpayers of this county."
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Privatization Prevents Tax Hike
- It’s Time to Let the Wind Energy Production Tax Credit Expire (12/12)
- What to Make of Struggling P3 Toll Roads (12/12)
- Alaska Governor Proposes $3 Billion Towards Paying Down Pension Debts (12/12)
- Baltimore City School District Has Come a Long Way since 2007, but There's Still Work to Be Done (12/11)
- Mileage Based User Fees or Road Usage Charges—Some Thoughtful Commentary (12/9)