Or at least it would have had a county executive not "prohibited the county from privatizing a jail" -- now residents faces a 1 mill tax increase, says Beaver County (PA) Commissioners Chairman Dan Donatella. That equates to slightly more than $2 million -- "That's exactly what we lost from privatization, and it's all based on the judge's opinion and ruling," said Donatella. "It's a sad day for the taxpayers of this county."
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Privatization Prevents Tax Hike
- The Magical Effects of Pre-K (4/8)
- Comment Period Re-Opened on Proposal to List Rufa Red Knot as Threatened (4/4)
- The Prairie Chicken Ruling Doesn't Make Sense (4/4)
- Sasha Volokh on Pension Protection and the Detroit Bankruptcy (4/2)
- Privatization & Government Reform Newsletter #5 (Mar 2014 edition) (4/1)