President Obama bowed to his pragmatic populist tendancies and helped craft the package that extended all the Bush tax cuts. Now that its passed both the House and Senate, the decision may well turn out to be a politically astute one in the run-up to his 2012 re-election campaign. I comment on this more extensively at the National Review's blog "The Corner." Needless to say, the stakes are high for the Republicans and they need to deliver on their promise of fiscal austerity.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Obama, the Bush Tax Cuts, and the Run Up to 2012
- How to Avoid Closing Washington State Parks (5/17)
- Give Managed Lane Conversions Time (5/16)
- Why is the CDC Being Anti-Science on State Liquor Privatization? (5/14)
- Louisiana Republicans Introduce Bills to Replicate Massachusetts's Pro-Union, Anti-Privatization “Pacheco Law” (5/9)
- 40th Anniversary of the Rockefeller Drug Laws: Time to Re-think Sentencing Policy (5/8)