President Obama bowed to his pragmatic populist tendancies and helped craft the package that extended all the Bush tax cuts. Now that its passed both the House and Senate, the decision may well turn out to be a politically astute one in the run-up to his 2012 re-election campaign. I comment on this more extensively at the National Review's blog "The Corner." Needless to say, the stakes are high for the Republicans and they need to deliver on their promise of fiscal austerity.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Obama, the Bush Tax Cuts, and the Run Up to 2012
- Baltimore City School District Has Come a Long Way since 2007, but There's Still Work to Be Done (12/11)
- Mileage Based User Fees or Road Usage Charges—Some Thoughtful Commentary (12/9)
- Human Rights Watch Exposes Injustice of Plea Bargains and Mandatory Minimums (12/6)
- Southwest Struggles As Legacy Airlines Establish Solid Business Models (12/6)
- Texas Families Show Strong Demand for More School Choice (12/5)