President Obama bowed to his pragmatic populist tendancies and helped craft the package that extended all the Bush tax cuts. Now that its passed both the House and Senate, the decision may well turn out to be a politically astute one in the run-up to his 2012 re-election campaign. I comment on this more extensively at the National Review's blog "The Corner." Needless to say, the stakes are high for the Republicans and they need to deliver on their promise of fiscal austerity.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Obama, the Bush Tax Cuts, and the Run Up to 2012
- Throwing Money at Bridges Will Not Fix the Problem (6/17)
- High-Speed Rail is a Luxury the U.S. Cannot Afford (6/11)
- A Labor Market Mired in Historical Lows is an Unhealthy Labor Market (6/7)
- Sasha Volokh on the Implications of the Louisiana Supreme Court Voucher Ruling (6/5)
- 77 percent of Californians Support Jerry Brown's School Funding Plan: Here Are Three Big Ideas to Make it Better (6/4)