CalculatedRisk Blog updated its unofficial estimate of at-risk banks this weekend to 575, a bad omen going into 2010. The final tally of banks closed by the FDIC in 2009 hit 139, one of the worse years in all time. Banks currently have a lot of toxic debt on their books, which is going to continue to weigh them down this year.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Number of Troubled Banks Grows
- It’s Time to Let the Wind Energy PTC Expire (12/12)
- What to Make of Struggling P3 Toll Roads (12/12)
- Alaska Governor Proposes $3 Billion Towards Paying Down Pension Debts (12/12)
- Baltimore City School District Has Come a Long Way since 2007, but There's Still Work to Be Done (12/11)
- Mileage Based User Fees or Road Usage Charges—Some Thoughtful Commentary (12/9)