CalculatedRisk Blog updated its unofficial estimate of at-risk banks this weekend to 575, a bad omen going into 2010. The final tally of banks closed by the FDIC in 2009 hit 139, one of the worse years in all time. Banks currently have a lot of toxic debt on their books, which is going to continue to weigh them down this year.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Number of Troubled Banks Grows
- Reducing BAC from .08 to .05 Will Not Significantly Reduce Drunk Driving (5/24)
- I-5 Bridge Collapses; Washington State Ranked 34th In Making Progress on Deficient and Functionally Obsolete Bridges (5/23)
- Reason's Len Gilroy Talks TVA Privatization, Annual Privatization Report on Heartland Institute Podcast (5/23)
- How to Avoid Closing Washington State Parks (5/17)
- Give Managed Lane Conversions Time (5/16)