CalculatedRisk Blog updated its unofficial estimate of at-risk banks this weekend to 575, a bad omen going into 2010. The final tally of banks closed by the FDIC in 2009 hit 139, one of the worse years in all time. Banks currently have a lot of toxic debt on their books, which is going to continue to weigh them down this year.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Number of Troubled Banks Grows
- The Magical Effects of Pre-K (4/8)
- Comment Period Re-Opened on Proposal to List Rufa Red Knot as Threatened (4/4)
- The Prairie Chicken Ruling Doesn't Make Sense (4/4)
- Sasha Volokh on Pension Protection and the Detroit Bankruptcy (4/2)
- Privatization & Government Reform Newsletter #5 (Mar 2014 edition) (4/1)