Illinois Republican Congressman Ray LaHood has apparently been asked to head up Obama's U.S. Department of Transportation, and he has accepted. In choosing Hood, Obama's team tapped a centrist known for working with the leadership of both parties to get things done. As Obama crafts his economic stimulus package, including several hundreds of billions of dollars for transportation projects, LaHood will be a central figure in implementing that policy.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
LaHood offerred transportation secretary position
- It’s Time to Let the Wind Energy PTC Expire (12/12)
- What to Make of Struggling P3 Toll Roads (12/12)
- Alaska Governor Proposes $3 Billion Towards Paying Down Pension Debts (12/12)
- Baltimore City School District Has Come a Long Way since 2007, but There's Still Work to Be Done (12/11)
- Mileage Based User Fees or Road Usage Charges—Some Thoughtful Commentary (12/9)