Illinois Republican Congressman Ray LaHood has apparently been asked to head up Obama's U.S. Department of Transportation, and he has accepted. In choosing Hood, Obama's team tapped a centrist known for working with the leadership of both parties to get things done. As Obama crafts his economic stimulus package, including several hundreds of billions of dollars for transportation projects, LaHood will be a central figure in implementing that policy.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
LaHood offerred transportation secretary position
- Baltimore City School District Has Come a Long Way since 2007, but There's Still Work to Be Done (12/11)
- Mileage Based User Fees or Road Usage Charges—Some Thoughtful Commentary (12/9)
- Human Rights Watch Exposes Injustice of Plea Bargains and Mandatory Minimums (12/6)
- Southwest Struggles As Legacy Airlines Establish Solid Business Models (12/6)
- Texas Families Show Strong Demand for More School Choice (12/5)