The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has just released a report showing that carbon dioxide emissions from light trucks, cars, and SUVs have fallen dramatically since 1975 even as the proportion of SUVs and trucks sold has increased to nearly half of all sales. Grams of carbon per mile have fallen from 579 in 1975 to 422 in 2009. Fuel economy has increased from 13.1 miles per gallon to 21.1.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
EPA Reports Shows Decline in Vehicle Carbon Emissions
- The Magical Effects of Pre-K (4/8)
- Comment Period Re-Opened on Proposal to List Rufa Red Knot as Threatened (4/4)
- The Prairie Chicken Ruling Doesn't Make Sense (4/4)
- Sasha Volokh on Pension Protection and the Detroit Bankruptcy (4/2)
- Privatization & Government Reform Newsletter #5 (Mar 2014 edition) (4/1)