- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Policy Study Authors
Skaidra Smith-Heisters is a policy analyst at Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank advancing free minds and free markets.
Her research is part of Reason's New Environmentalism program, launched by Lynn Scarlett, which develops innovative solutions to environmental problems and emphasizes the benefits of local decisions over Washington's command-and-control regulations.
Smith-Heisters is a graduate of the University of California at Davis program in Nature and Culture. Prior to joining Reason, she worked in habitat restoration, endangered species management and natural resources planning with the California State Parks system.
She has been extensively involved in grassroots journalism and political organizing in San Francisco's North Bay area, where she currently lives.
- USDA Tries Pricing and Trading Environmental Benefits
Bringing ecosystem services out of the political realm and into the market would be welcome news
January 26, 2009
- California Air Resources Board Passes Costly Plan During Economic Crisis
State can utilize pay-as-you-drive and pay-as-you-save programs for inexpensive environmental improvements
December 22, 2008
- How big is a landslide?
December 14, 2008, 12:00am
- Good cheer and libation on this Repeal Day!
December 4, 2008, 9:17am
- Pocketbook policy: SFpark
November 18, 2008, 10:10pm
- Governors' Global Climate Summit makes case for baskets
November 17, 2008, 3:03pm
- FLOW: For Love of Water...as long as it's not bottled, processed or delivered by a for-profit company
November 16, 2008, 5:21pm
- Farmers vs. Feds
November 12, 2008, 6:00pm
- Good showing for decriminalization measures
November 4, 2008, 3:25pm
- CA Prop. 8 distorts voters' opinions on marriage
October 30, 2008, 3:51pm
- CA: moratorium on bad news until after the election
October 30, 2008, 11:32am
- Measure Q: The Wrong Train
Massively expensive plan to make miniscule reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
October 28, 2008
- Environmental Costs of Hemp Prohibition in the United States
Comparing the environmental performance of industrial hemp relative to substitutes in key industrial applications
October 27, 2008
- Prop. 5 and the Bill of Rights
October 26, 2008, 5:13pm
- Top three lies about CA Props. 5, 6 and 9
October 22, 2008, 1:35pm
- CA local ballot measures: trains, prostitution and plastic bags
October 19, 2008, 10:27am
- UCLA data uphold California drug treatment successes
October 14, 2008, 6:22pm
- Can a small stone make a big ripple as it rolls forth?
October 8, 2008, 7:00pm
- Analysis of California's Propositions 7 and 10: Renewable Energy Mandates and Handouts
Policy Brief 75
October 1, 2008
- The Nonviolent Offender Rehabilitation Act: Prison Overcrowding, Parole and Sentencing Reform (Proposition 5)
Policy Brief 74
October 1, 2008
- California's Proposition 7 Is Flawed
Plan will actually hurt the state's renewable energy efforts
September 18, 2008
- Polar Pawn
September 1, 2008, 1:58pm
- CA poll: government not in public interest
August 27, 2008, 9:15am
- Paper or plastic--or else!
August 25, 2008, 11:05am
- Cars Disproportionately Blamed for Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Electricity, not transportation is responsible for the largest share of emissions
August 12, 2008
- What Exactly Is One Planet Living?
Interview with Kirstie Moore, Sustainability Project Manager for Sonoma Mountain Village
June 10, 2008
- Tax your television
June 1, 2008, 7:44pm
- How to shrink your carbon footprint without changing a light bulb
May 29, 2008, 9:55am
- Macaroni cantaloupe knows the future
May 25, 2008, 10:49am
- The future is here: smart metering in CA
May 21, 2008, 6:19pm
- The next bad alternative fuel concept: beef-a-hol
May 6, 2008, 1:39pm
- Paper Grocery Bags Require More Energy Than Plastic Bags
Paper vs. plastic debate shows how good environmental intentions coupled with bad information lead us astray
April 17, 2008
- Redistribution of water
April 13, 2008, 2:19pm
- Societal fabric up in smoke
April 10, 2008, 7:36pm
- Reviewing Blue Covenant
Giving governments more control of water isn't the answer
April 3, 2008
- Illegally Green: Environmental Costs of Hemp Prohibition
March 13, 2008
- Paper v. plastic: the interactive version!
March 12, 2008, 6:52pm
- Drug policy FAQs for the day
March 3, 2008, 12:07pm
- Dangerous, dirty ad from "safe, clean" water advocates
February 28, 2008, 4:40pm
- DWR: ProgressÍ pending
February 21, 2008, 7:16pm
- DEA raids, what do we get? Another day older and...
February 14, 2008, 5:58pm
- Where were CaliforniaÝs independents?
February 5, 2008, 10:47am
- Time for changing politicians (marijuana edition)
February 4, 2008, 3:03pm
- Paper v. plastic debate finally has its day in court
January 29, 2008, 9:06pm
- Measure 50: Are Tobacco Taxes The Answer To Funding Children's Health Programs?
Policy Brief 65
January 29, 2008
- Go, go, "Google" government!
December 13, 2007, 11:35am
- DEA raids California tax coffers
December 12, 2007, 6:08pm
- China wants LA's waste paper?
December 11, 2007, 4:48pm
- Fiber farmers DEA-nied
November 29, 2007, 2:13pm
- Oregon tax debate: beyond good and evil and TV ads
November 6, 2007, 11:02am
©2013 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email email@example.com if you have questions about this Web site.