Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Reason has internship opportunities year-round in both the Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. offices, in policy research, journalism, video production and fundraising. Previous interns have gone on to work at such places as The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, ABC News, Students for Liberty, and Reason itself. Learn more about our internships and how to apply on our internship page.
Young Journalist Fellowship
Reason’s Young Journalist Fellowship is an opportunity for early and mid-career and aspiring journalists to develop their skills and gain experience while exploring the ideas of free minds and free markets through the premier outlet for liberty-focused journalism.
Fellowships are full-time, year-long, salaried positions with benefits. They are appropriate for working professionals, and are not internships. Fellowships are offered in both our Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. offices, as well as potential telecommuting arrangements.
Candidates apply for the fellowship roles just as they would any full-time position, and start dates are determined for each individual role depending on needs and availability. Some fellows stay with Reason beyond the year-long fellowship term. Reason is currently accepting applications for the following roles, see details below:
Note that all applications should be sent as a single Word or pdf attachment. Please see our FAQ below, or direct additional questions about the fellowship and application process to Amy Pelletier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reason.com, the leading libertarian news and commentary website with over 3 million monthly visits, is looking for editorial design artists to create compelling visual content for our website and to enhance our video journalism.
The ideal candidate is passionate about free minds and free markets, is a news junkie who stays constantly abreast of issues trending on social media, has excellent graphic design and layout skills, and has a vision for how to reach new audiences by adding visual content to Reason. Competence with design programs such as Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop is a requirement, and motion graphic skills are a plus.
Job location is negotiable, but candidates who can work from our Los Angeles or Washington, D.C. offices are preferred.
To apply, please submit the following elements as a single pdf or Word file to email@example.com.
Applications are rolling until the position is filled.
- A sample idea (or ideas) of visual content to accompany or supplement any article currently on Reason.com. Content could include photographs, infographics, charts, graphs, gifs, etc. Show us what you can do.
- A cover letter, describing your vision for the role.
- Applicable work samples (you decide what best represents your ability to do the job).
Reason is looking for a talented individual to manage youth outreach and coalition relations. The ideal candidate will have a robust personal network in the free-market movement and enjoy building relationships with colleagues. Responsibilities will include:
- Managing Reason’s relationship with student organizations (SFL, YAL, ISI, I.H.S., FEE, Gen Opp, SSDP, LI, YAF, etc) by coordinating our presence at events and looking for opportunities to provide relevant content to student networks.
- Managing the complimentary digital and print student magazine subscriptions project.
- Coordinating Reason’s presence at events such as FreedomFest, State Policy Network’s annual meeting, Resource Bank, etc.
- Managing Reason’s outreach mailing lists, ensuring staff at other think tanks and magazines receive relevant Reason content.
To apply, send a single pdf or word file containing a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are rolling and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Reason TV – the online video journalism project of the Reason Foundation – is seeking talented individuals interested in advancing the message of free minds and free markets through video journalism and related multimedia productions. Reason’s top priority is talent: established and aspiring producers, videographers, editors, researchers, and marketing professionals will all be considered.
The Searle Film Fellowship at Reason TV is a year-long, full-time position that gives aspiring video journalists the opportunity to create substantive, original content that explores politics and culture through a libertarian lens. Initial responsibilities will depend on experience and could range from research assistance to video editing to producing independent pieces to developing marketing and distribution plans. Fellows will also participate in training in production techniques appropriate to their skill level. Fellowships are full-time salaried positions with benefits; salary will depend on experience.
Resourcefulness, a willingness to pick up miscellaneous tasks and reliability are a must. The ideal candidate will also have a strong interest in libertarian ideas, the field of documentary filmmaking or video journalism, familiarity with shooting and editing, and content distribution and marketing.
Applicants at any level of experience will be considered. Individuals who are able to work from one of the Reason offices (in LA or DC) are preferred, but telecommuters will also be considered.
To apply, please submit the following materials in a single pdf file via email to email@example.com:
- A cover letter with a summary of your experience and an explanation of your interest in Reason TV
- A resume, including contact information for three references
- Three one-page segment sketches you would like to produce (or help produce) at Reason TV. The format, style, and level of detail are at your discretion
- Samples of your work, if applicable to your level of experience.
Is the Young Journalist Fellowship a job or an internship program?
Journalism Fellows are full-time Reason employees, with the same benefits and employment status as all full-time staff at Reason. Fellows are paid a salary commensurate with their experience.
Is there an age limit?
There is no age or experience limit to apply for the fellowship program.
What is the selection process?
The hiring team at Reason will review applications as they are received, and will contact you if we would like to arrange an interview. You may email firstname.lastname@example.org to check on the status of your application.
Do I need to move to Los Angeles or Washington, D.C. for the program?
Reason does consider applications from potential telecommuters, but will give preference to candidates who can work out of one of our offices.
Founded in 1968, Reason advances a free society by developing, applying, and promoting individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law. Reason Foundation's nonpartisan public policy research promotes choice, competition, and a dynamic market economy. Reason, the monthly print magazine and popular Web site of "free minds and free markets," covers politics, culture, and ideas through a provocative mix of news, analysis, commentary, and reviews.
- The Magical Effects of Pre-K (4/8)
- Comment Period Re-Opened on Proposal to List Rufa Red Knot as Threatened (4/4)
- The Prairie Chicken Ruling Doesn't Make Sense (4/4)
- Sasha Volokh on Pension Protection and the Detroit Bankruptcy (4/2)
- Privatization & Government Reform Newsletter #5 (Mar 2014 edition) (4/1)
Latest From Reason
Environmentalism is now more religion than science.
It benefits special interests, hurts consumers, and harms the planet. What could be worse?
The Department of Commerce's Economic Development Administration is a favor-dispensing machine.