- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
- Reason Magazine
- Reason-Rupe Poll
- Air Traffic E-Newsletter
- Airport Policy E-Newsletter
- Annual Highway Report
- Annual Privatization Report
- Court Briefs
- Innovators in Action
- Policy Studies
- Privatization Newsletter
- Pension Reform Newsletter
- Reason Alert E-Newsletter
- Transportation E-Newsletter
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Policy Study Authors
Shirley Ybarra is a senior transportation policy analyst at Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank advancing free minds and free markets.
Ms. Ybarra served as Secretary of Transportation for the Commonwealth of Virginia from 1998 to 2002, overseeing a budget of $3.2 billion and a staff of 13,000 people. Between 1994 and 1998, Ybarra was Virginia's Deputy Secretary of Transportation.
Ybarra also served as senior policy advisor and special assistant for policy for U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole from 1983 to 1987. In that role, Ybarra managed the transfer and privatization of Dulles and National Airports to the Washington Metropolitan Airport Authority.
Ybarra authored Virginia's Public-Private Transportation Act of 1995, considered the model public-private partnership legislation in the United States.
In 2001, Ybarra received the American Road and Transportation Builders Association's "Public-Private Ventures Entrepreneur of the Year Award" for her leadership in designing innovative infrastructure financing.
She holds a Master's degree in Economics and a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln.
- It's Not New Money
March 6, 2009, 7:52am
- Lee County, Florida Looking at Pragmatic Solutions
March 6, 2009, 7:17am
- Private Investment Upgrades Oakland Port
March 5, 2009, 10:37am
- Thatcher Said It Best
February 8, 2009, 6:51am
- Risking the Future (there is a better solution)
February 2, 2009, 7:43am
- Private Sector comes to Transportation In Alabama
January 31, 2009, 7:38pm
- New Cash, Not New Projects in Stimulus ..The head line says it all
January 28, 2009, 8:07am
- Transportation Spending Won't Stimulate Economy
Infrastructure projects aren't really ready-to-go and using private sector financing could save taxpayers hundreds of billions
Shirley Ybarra and Anthony Randazzo
January 27, 2009
- Environmental Issues Slide in Poll of Public's Concern
January 22, 2009, 9:44am
- China Stimulus Package
January 22, 2009, 8:15am
- But Who Will Drive Them? (and who will run the junk yards?)
January 21, 2009, 6:46pm
- Cheering on the City of Chesapeake, Virginia
December 31, 2008, 8:39pm
- And you thought infrastructure stimulus meant Roads and Bridges?
December 27, 2008, 2:08pm
- HOT Lanes Will Bring Congestion Relief to Northern Virginia
Toll lanes will mean more opportunities for carpooling and slugs
December 23, 2008
- Will the Stimilus Work?
December 20, 2008, 4:01am
- Missouri Department of Transportation with Another Innovation for Highway Construction
November 27, 2008, 9:56pm
- Oregon Governor MIssing a Part of the Transportation Puzzle
November 27, 2008, 8:46pm
- Yet Another State Recognizes the Benefits of Public-Private Partnerships--Michigan
November 13, 2008, 9:53pm
- Even More Stimulation....
November 13, 2008, 8:06am
- So Cars Are Only So Bad?
November 8, 2008, 8:05pm
- The Rising Costs of Construction
November 6, 2008, 2:26pm
- Will we see more Public Private Partnerships with Obama Administration?
November 6, 2008, 1:51pm
- Rethinking Transportation Funding
October 15, 2008, 1:28pm
- Temporary Fix for Transportation Trust Fund
States should look to private sector for help building, maintaining infrastructure
October 1, 2008
- Sustainable Mobility in American Cities
Road pricing, transit and private sector funding should all play a role
Shirley Ybarra and Samuel Staley
September 8, 2008
- CalPERS Funds Could Reduce California's Congestion Crisis
State's massive infrastructure needs could get big boost
August 27, 2008
- No New Taxes and Building Roads in Virginia
State should put private capital to work solving our transportation problems
July 23, 2008
- Tax Increases Are Wrong Fix for Virginia's Congestion Woes
State needs to turn to innovative solutions, not tax increases
June 4, 2008
- Virginia Saving Money With Fixed-Price Interstate Maintenance Deal
Florida and international community have demonstrated there are significant savings to be had
May 8, 2008
- Feds Don't Need Bigger Role in Public-Private Partnerships
States can best determine what works for their own road projects
April 1, 2008
- Spend Transportation Dollars on Transportation
Virginia continues to raid funds intended for infrastructure
January 26, 2008
©2014 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about this Web site.