- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Policy Study Authors
Skaidra Smith-Heisters is a policy analyst at Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank advancing free minds and free markets.
Her research is part of Reason's New Environmentalism program, launched by Lynn Scarlett, which develops innovative solutions to environmental problems and emphasizes the benefits of local decisions over Washington's command-and-control regulations.
Smith-Heisters is a graduate of the University of California at Davis program in Nature and Culture. Prior to joining Reason, she worked in habitat restoration, endangered species management and natural resources planning with the California State Parks system.
She has been extensively involved in grassroots journalism and political organizing in San Francisco's North Bay area, where she currently lives.
- Smoke (another) one for the kids
October 11, 2007, 1:02pm
- No false sense of security here
October 11, 2007, 10:10am
- "As long as you grow your own birch trees..."
September 10, 2007, 3:07pm
- Jerry Brown, planning commissioner
August 21, 2007, 3:19pm
- Another good reason to drink fine wine
August 5, 2007, 12:49pm
- Anti-Nanny Nanny Laws
August 2, 2007, 3:45pm
- California's Global Warming Budget Crisis
August 2, 2007, 1:59pm
- California's Looming Water Crisis
State needs peripheral canal sending Sacramento water to Southern California
July 26, 2007
- Tap vs. bottle: Battle continues
July 19, 2007, 1:37pm
- Map identifies new California terrorist hotspots
July 12, 2007, 1:54pm
- Dreamliner a nightmare?
July 9, 2007, 3:20pm
- Bald eagle, phone home!
June 27, 2007, 10:03am
- Let them drink cake!
June 24, 2007, 2:36pm
- Disconnect down on the hog farm
June 17, 2007, 10:57am
- Incarcerex: new from the Drug Policy Alliance
June 17, 2007, 10:43am
- Environmental Timetables Built for Style, Not Substance
Cutting emissions, reducing use of foreign oil, using more renewable energy requires a lot more than just goals
June 12, 2007
- A(nother) ban is born
June 11, 2007, 5:53pm
- PPIC: "CA Voters: What They Donít Know Could Hurt Us?"
June 5, 2007, 11:17am
- Update on California's dim bulb law
May 30, 2007, 9:15am
- The zero emissions endgame
May 27, 2007, 12:16pm
- Cigarettes: the new hurdy-gurdy?
May 15, 2007, 4:05pm
- Not dazed or confused
May 10, 2007, 12:34pm
- The Rush to Ban Incandescent Light Bulbs and Plastic Bags
Life-cycle analysis shows energy costs and pollution from the "solutions" will create new problems
May 9, 2007
- Preparing for "Earthquake Katrina" and a Levee Disaster in California
Taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook to subsidize, rebuild homes and farms built in flood danger zones
April 30, 2007
- Industrial Hemp Can Boost Economy, Cut Pollution
Schwarzenegger's drug war concerns are way off base
April 19, 2007
- Reason in the news
March 8, 2007, 4:29pm
- Sensible Policies for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries in Los Angeles
March 1, 2007
- How many light bulbs does it take to fill a shoebox?
February 26, 2007, 5:08pm
- Q: Who Owns the Sky? A: Californians
February 25, 2007, 2:35pm
- More proof of the law of supply and demand
February 20, 2007, 9:10pm
- Expanding Smoking Bans Should Worry Us All
Bay Area's nanny state is growing
February 16, 2007
- Some pricey paperwork
February 11, 2007, 1:32pm
- Why California is NOT Screwed
February 6, 2007, 9:17am
- SOTU energy reaction round-up
January 23, 2007, 1:48pm
- Some things are still sacred
January 18, 2007, 8:54pm
- Upping the Anti- Ante
November 15, 2006, 11:58am
- Prop. 1E's Blank Check Primed for Pork, Not Flood Control
California using a pre-Katrina mindset
November 1, 2006
- Smoke and Mirrors
Santa Rosa's outdoor smoking ban and Prop. 86
November 1, 2006
- The Great Smoke-Off of 2006
October 30, 2006, 11:53am
- Prop 1E: Yoga bond?
October 12, 2006, 10:24am
- Schwarzenegger Vetoes Industrial Hemp
Law would've helped reduce greenhouse gas emissions
October 2, 2006
- A Bad Idea Gone Too Far
Proposition 86, The Tobacco Tax
Geoffrey Segal and Skaidra Smith-Heisters
October 1, 2006
- I support Al Gore
September 19, 2006, 1:29pm
- Propositions 1E and 84
Funding the State's Water and Flood Control Infrastructure
Skaidra Smith-Heisters and Adam Summers
September 1, 2006
- Recycling Law Needs to be Thrown Out
California's plastic bag bill
August 24, 2006
- Alligators make the short list
August 16, 2006, 9:19am
- Stop Playing Politics With Energy
It's time to rethink California's prohibition against offshore drilling
August 6, 2006
- Rockfish testimony in oil drilling debate
July 30, 2006, 5:28pm
- Road rage isn't funnyó
July 17, 2006, 4:29pm
- Idle-free or idle-full?
July 10, 2006, 11:27am
©2013 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about this Web site.