- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Policy Study Authors
Click Here for a High-Resolution Photo
Geoffrey Segal is the director of privatization and government reform at Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank advancing free minds and free markets. He is also editor of Reason's Privatization Watch.
Segal recently served as an advisor to Florida Gov. Jeb Bush's Center for Efficient Government. In addition, his counsel has recently been sought out by Gov. Mark Sanford and Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, where he is working with the Government Efficiency and Financial Planning group inside the Office of Management and Budget. Segal is also an advisor to the Cost Cutting Caucus in the Virginia House of Delegates.
Segal is a highly skilled policy analyst with a strong, diversified background in policy research and project analysis focusing on public-private partnerships, competition, government efficiency, government spending and waste, transparency, accountability, and government performance.
Segal has worked closely with legislators in California, New York, Florida, Indiana, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Illinois, Oregon, Kentucky, Ohio, Washington D.C., Colorado, Minnesota, Maryland, Maine, North and South Carolina, Hawaii, Arizona, and Texas in efforts to reduce government spending, improve government performance, and enhance accountability in government programs.
Segal has testified to the United States Senate and numerous state legislatures and agencies. He has written dozens of articles for leading publications including Investor's Business Daily, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Indianapolis Star, Orange County Register, Los Angeles Daily News, and New York Sun. Segal is also a contributing editor to Budget & Tax News. A frequent guest on television and radio, he has appeared on Fox News Channel's "Your World with Neil Cavuto" as well as CNBC's "Closing Bell w/Maria Bartiromo" and "Power Lunch."
Segal earned a B.A. in Political Science at Arizona State University and a Master of Public Policy from Pepperdine University.
- "One of the best ways to find funds is to look in other people's pockets"
January 9, 2007, 1:29pm
- I Wonder Who is Right?
January 9, 2007, 1:24pm
- Privatizing University Housing
Leonard Gilroy, Laura J. Davis, Sarah F. Anzia and Geoffrey Segal
January 1, 2007
- It's Too Early to Derail Daniels' Tollway plan
Indiana's transportation efforts are leading a national trend
Geoffrey Segal and Samuel Staley
December 2, 2006
- Privatization Prevents Tax Hike
November 29, 2006, 5:51am
- Time for a "Citizens Initiative"
Virginia needs constitutional and procedural safeguards to keep spending in check
November 6, 2006
- The Sky Won't Fall If Maine's TABOR Passes
Taxpayers effective spending reform efforts
October 30, 2006
- Innovation at the State Level
October 24, 2006, 5:21pm
- A Bad Idea Gone Too Far
Proposition 86, The Tobacco Tax
Geoffrey Segal and Skaidra Smith-Heisters
October 1, 2006
- Sticking it to Smokers
California's Prop. 86 would raise tobacco taxes to $3.47 per pack
September 25, 2006
- A New Transportation Equation
Virginia has a chance to burnish its tarnished capitalistic credentials
September 25, 2006
- Privatizing Ohio's Government Marketing...Just Do It!
Much of state's advertising and promotional work is corporate welfare
Geoffrey Segal and Jack Furney
September 15, 2006
- USCG Buys a Brewery?
August 20, 2006, 1:35pm
- The Croesus Trap
Privatization and tolls - not more money - are the key to fixing Virginia's broken transportation system
August 7, 2006
- Privatization and Devolution Keys to Solving Federal Budget Mess
Smaller, more efficient government is the path to fiscal security
July 19, 2006
- Bottom-Line on Indiana Toll Road Deal
Commuters, taxpayers and state government reaping benefits
July 10, 2006
- Making Government Compete to Improve Services and Save Money
Hamilton County can teach Ohio's 87 other counties a lesson on results and performance
Geoffrey Segal and Jack Furney
June 29, 2006
- Failure is OK - When It's Cheap
Public-private partnerships - not new taxes - will help Virginia develop a world-class transportation network
June 26, 2006
- A Big Step for Privatization
June 5, 2006, 7:14am
- Government Lags as Hurricane Season Starts
Politics block private sector from helping ravaged areas
June 1, 2006
- 27 to 1
May 25, 2006, 7:06am
- Learning from Pocahontas
Virginia Gov. Kaine granted a concession agreement for the Pocahontas Parkway; why not the Dulles Toll Road too?
May 15, 2006
- Putting Ideology over Good Policy
May 10, 2006, 6:41am
- Coalition Urges Senate to Pass Legislation Protecting Private Property Rights
Eminent domain abuse undermines Constitutional property protections
May 2, 2006
- Detroit Can't Afford to Stall Privatization
Other cities save millions by forcing government services to compete
April 20, 2006
- Do We Need It All?
Virginia needs to rethink the way it sets its funding priorities
April 3, 2006
- Getting Clean Water to the Rest of the World
Public-private partnerships can play vital role
March 31, 2006
- Is This Worth $611 Million?
March 14, 2006, 5:35am
- Selling the Ohio Turnpike
Paving the way to prosperity, or a slush fund?
March 3, 2006
- Major Divestment of Government Land
February 23, 2006, 7:01am
- More Dominoes Fall
February 22, 2006, 7:51pm
- Indiana Needs Major Moves
Status quo won't move us forward or reduce congestion
February 19, 2006
- Speaking of Gunpoint
February 15, 2006, 8:56am
- Utah PPP Bill Takes First Step
February 13, 2006, 7:04pm
- Overlooked Bush Budget Piece
February 13, 2006, 6:23am
- Areas Follow in Sandy Springs Footsteps
February 13, 2006, 6:20am
- Missouri Readers: Your Tax Dollars at Work
February 12, 2006, 12:55pm
- Virginia Doesn't Need to Raise Taxes for Transportation
Global companies are pouring money into roads in other states
January 31, 2006
- "The Eyebrow"
January 30, 2006, 8:11pm
- SOTU Response
January 30, 2006, 7:59pm
- TABOR Introduced in South Carolina
January 26, 2006, 1:02pm
- Follow the Leader: Sandy Springs
January 23, 2006, 6:37am
- Utah Introduces PPP Bill
January 23, 2006, 6:00am
- Indiana Offered $3.8 Billion for Toll Road
January 22, 2006, 8:53am
- Freedom from Government Competition
January 21, 2006, 6:26pm
- PPP Conference in Chicago
January 21, 2006, 9:21am
- Getting More Money in the Classroom
January 18, 2006, 9:03am
- Don't Put Undue Burden on Governor's Efficiency Efforts
Indiana's proposed "privatization plan" would slow reforms
January 15, 2006
- CA Prison System Presents Major Reform Opportunity
Schwarzenegger needs to battle powerful prison guards
January 12, 2006
- President Should Reject IRS "Return-Free" Scheme
Taxpayer "service" would be flawed, dangerous to taxpayers
January 11, 2006
©2013 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about this Web site.