This article in the the St. Louis Federal Reserve Review explores the question. It is an interesting, nay depressing, analysis. Sure, you can change some assumptions and get some different conlcusions. The one thing you can't really assume away is that we are on an inevitable collision course with either dramatic spending cuts (yay!) or dramatic tax increases (boo!).
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Is the US Bankrupt?
- It’s Time to Let the Wind Energy PTC Expire (12/12)
- What to Make of Struggling P3 Toll Roads (12/12)
- Alaska Governor Proposes $3 Billion Towards Paying Down Pension Debts (12/12)
- Baltimore City School District Has Come a Long Way since 2007, but There's Still Work to Be Done (12/11)
- Mileage Based User Fees or Road Usage Charges—Some Thoughtful Commentary (12/9)