- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Reason Foundation Experts
Director of Communications
Shikha Dalmia is a senior policy analyst at Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank advancing free minds and free markets.
Dalmia is a Bloomberg View contributor, a columnist at the Washington Examiner, and writes regularly for Reason magazine. She is also a frequent contributor to the op-ed pages of The Wall Street Journal and numerous other publications such as the Los Angeles Times, New York Post, The Weekly Standard, Business Week, San Francisco Chronicle, and the Chicago Tribune. She previously served as a columnist for Forbes.
Dalmia was co-winner of the first 2009 Bastiat Prize for Online Journalism for her columns in Forbes and Reason.
From 1996 to 2004, Dalmia was as an award-winning editorial writer at the Detroit News, covering a variety of policy issues, including the environment, immigration, Social Security, welfare reform, health care and foreign policy. She also worked as a reporter for the Patriot, a national daily newspaper based in New Delhi, India, where she grew up and earned her B.S. degree in chemistry and biology from the University of Delhi.
Dalmia frequenlty appears on Fox Business Network and other television and radio outlets.
Dalmia, who taught news writing courses at Michigan State University, earned a Master's degree in mass communication from Louisiana State University. She also holds a post graduate diploma in journalism from the Indian Institute of Mass Communications.
She lives in the Detroit area with her husband and son.
- Immigration Policy: An Argument for Opening America's Borders
The empirical and economic benefits of open borders
December 7, 2012
- Detroit Needs a Regime Change
The Motor City must be liberated from its moribund government if it is going to survive.
December 6, 2011
- Keeping Newt Undercover
America doesn't need Dr. Strangelove dealing with Iran's mad mullahs
November 22, 2011
- Alabama's War on Immigrants
The state's harsh immigration law will only worsen its economic woes.
November 15, 2011
- Liberal Programs Deserve Blame for Income Inequality
The Congressional Budget Office documents income gains for everyone, not just the wealthy.
November 8, 2011
- Don't Mind the Gap
What matters is income mobility, not income inequality.
November 1, 2011
- Rick Perry Makes a Good Plan Sound Bad
The Texas governor's energy pitch strikes all the wrong notes.
October 25, 2011
- Soak the Rich or Soak the Super Rich?
Harry Reid's "millionaire' surcharge" is a new move in the old Democratic game of class warfare.
October 18, 2011
- Why Smart Presidents Do Stupid Things
The GOP's growing anti-intellectualism is a response to intellectuals run amuck.
October 4, 2011
- Unions: The Cause of Michigan's Malaise
The Great Lakes state's burgeoning right-to-work movement is a backlash against aggressive union demands.
September 27, 2011
- India's Mangled School Reforms
The country’s new voucher provisions won’t increase choice.
September 14, 2011
- America the Exceptional?
The 9/11 attacks did not kill liberty in America.
September 13, 2011
- Michele Bachmann's Unholy Crusade
The GOP presidential hopeful bashes unauthorized workers.
August 30, 2011
- Rick Perry: Economic Wizard?
The truth about job creation and government spending in the Lone Star state
August 23, 2011
- The Bankrupt Agenda of the Save Our Schools Movement
True progressives would embrace school choice, not teachers' unions.
August 16, 2011
- Fiscal Hawks vs. Defense Hawks
The potential defense cuts in the debt deal spell the beginning of the end of the neoconservative military agenda
August 9, 2011
- Obama's Top Four Power Grabs
The president stretches executive power to expand the warfare state and the regulatory state.
August 2, 2011
- The Coming Autopocalypse
The Obama administration's proposed CAFE rules declare a war on cars
July 26, 2011
- Erasing the "I" from Marriage
Conservative candidates pledge to uphold the Christian version of Shariah.
July 19, 2011
- Obama's Anti-Immigrant Stance
Under the guise of immigration enforcement, the White House pushes a pro-union agenda.
July 12, 2011
- Driving to Delusionville
Obama’s former auto czar is in deep denial about the government’s failed bailout
July 5, 2011
- It's Not the Oil, Stupid
Humanitarian concerns are driving America's involvement in Libya
June 21, 2011
- Medicare's Least Bad Fix
Why RyanCare beats ObamaCare in a knockout
June 14, 2011
- Shrink the Prisons
Conservatives are as wrong about prison overcrowding as liberals were about welfare reform.
June 7, 2011
- General Motors Will Never Repay Taxpayers
Obama's spin on GM's latest profit report is pure baloney
May 24, 2011
- End the War on Terror
Why the world fears America more than bin Laden
May 10, 2011
- A Pragmatic Champion of Liberty
Gary Johnson's cross-political appeal will help both the country and the liberty movement.
May 3, 2011
- Keep Your Hands Off My Drone
Neoconservatives go ballistic over Obama's sham defense cuts.
April 26, 2011
- Why RyanCare Will Fail
Paul Ryan's budget embraces a fatal premise of the Nanny State
April 19, 2011
- Too Much Information
Conservatives should use state open records laws to go after the government, not individuals.
April 12, 2011
- Protecting Immigrants From Government Exploitation
Trading birthright citizenship for an expanded guest worker program is a bad deal for both immigrants and Americans.
April 5, 2011
- Japan's Nuclear Nationalism
Japan has pushed nuclear energy hard—at the expense of safety
March 29, 2011
- The Bogus Case Against Birthright Citizenship
Anti-immigration hysteria has blinded conservatives to their own principles
March 15, 2011
- The Real Lesson from Wisconsin
Public unions have no one but themselves to blame for believing government promises
March 8, 2011
- Global Warming By Another Name
Obama's clean energy boondoggle will be expensive for America
March 7, 2011
- Long Live the American Dream
Why India and China have nothing on America
March 1, 2011
- China’s Beauty Problem
India’s ugly cities are less cruel to their rural migrants than China’s plush ones
February 23, 2011
- What Islamist Terrorist Threat?
Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America
February 15, 2011
- Bollywood vs. Bin Laden
The soft power of Indian films takes a hard line against extremism.
February 8, 2011
- The ObamaCare Fraud
The law will penalize doctors to pay patients and penalize patients to pay doctors.
December 31, 2010
- The Sari Doesn't Need Saving
Why globalization is good for this gorgeous Indian outfit
November 19, 2010
- Immigrant Bashing By Immigrants
The GOP's ethnic candidates won by embracing a restrictionist agenda in the midterm elections.
November 9, 2010
- Entitlement Reform? Not Their Cup of Tea
Tea Party candidates are backing off from serious spending cuts
November 1, 2010
- China Bashing Is for Losers
Trade sanctions won't heal the American economy
October 26, 2010
- India Follows China's Sporting Folly
New Delhi residents need schools and sewers not stadiums and auditoriums.
October 19, 2010
- ObamaCare's First Major Casualties
Why the new health care law is bad for gays and aliens
October 4, 2010
- D'Souza to Obama, With Malice
The president is a Keynesian meddler not a Kenyan anti-colonialist.
September 21, 2010
- Fixing the Global Warming Establishment with New Lipstick
A review of the IPCC process is a huge missed opportunity
September 17, 2010
- Obama Motors' Ill-Timed IPO
General Motors is going public to boost the Democrats prospects in November, not to protect taxpayers.
September 7, 2010
- China's Looming Real-Estate Bubble
A massive Keynesian spending program has misallocated capital and set the stage for a crisis
Anthony Randazzo and Shikha Dalmia
August 23, 2010
- How to Avoid Closing Washington State Parks (5/17)
- Give Managed Lane Conversions Time (5/16)
- Why is the CDC Being Anti-Science on State Liquor Privatization? (5/14)
- Louisiana Republicans Introduce Bills to Replicate Massachusetts's Pro-Union, Anti-Privatization “Pacheco Law” (5/9)
- 40th Anniversary of the Rockefeller Drug Laws: Time to Re-think Sentencing Policy (5/8)
Latest From Reason
©2013 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email email@example.com if you have questions about this Web site.