Reason Foundation advances a free society by developing, applying, and promoting libertarian principles, including individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law. We use journalism and public policy research to influence the frameworks and actions of policymakers, journalists, and opinion leaders.
Reason Foundation produces respected public policy research on a variety of issues including transportation, education, government finance, privatization, drug policy and criminal justice reform, consumer freedom, and tech policy. Our research promotes choice, competition, and a dynamic market economy as the foundation for human dignity and progress. We produce non-partisan, rigorous, peer-reviewed research and directly engage the policy process, seeking strategies that emphasize cooperation, flexibility, local knowledge, transparency, accountability, and results. Through practical and innovative approaches to complex problems, Reason seeks to change the way people think about issues and promote policies that allow and encourage individuals and voluntary institutions to flourish.
About the Opening:
The team seeks an editor for our policy research writing, ranging from op/eds to full research studies. The is a key part of both quality assurance for our research projects, but also quality improvements with the editor providing the perspective of a reader who is not an expert on each issue. Responsibilities could include:
1. Editing draft research products:
• This stage encompasses everything from copyediting (correcting grammar, style, punctuation, typos, awkward sentence structure, citation format, etc.) to developmental editing (evaluating the text for logical flow, order of presentation of ideas, clarity, appropriateness for the target audience, tone, professionalism, etc.) as necessary.
• The editor will correct errors, rearrange text as warranted, and suggest improvements to the author as appropriate.
• Resolving any issues may take a few back-and-forth interactions with the author. In the case of an outside author, the editor will work with the project director only, who will interface with the outside author.
2. Preparing document for production layout:
• The editor will identify possible pull quotes to help break up blocky pages, ensure that all graphics are present in the draft or provided as separate attachments, remove all resolved comments from the editing stage except those needed by the web designer for layout, ensure author bios are present, accept all changes and remove tracking.
• The purpose of this stage is to ensure that the production/web designer has everything needed for layout, with all content questions resolved. Upon completion of this stage, the editor will then submit the document for layout.
3. Proofreading final pre-release documents:
• The editor will do a close proofread of final-stage, near-release production documents, looking for any remaining errors or any formatting errors created by the layout process, as well as anything missed in editing.
• The editor will proofread graphics and figures.
• The editor will send the document back to the web designer for correction and work with the author and web designer to make sure all questions are resolved.
• Ensuring all corrections have been done right may take a few back-and-forth interactions with the web designer and/or the author.
• Once the document is correct, the editor will send it back to the author for a final review, ensure all the author’s corrections are made, then submit the content for final publication.
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 2 years of experience as an editor
- Pre and post samples of edited pieces
- Willing to do a test edit as part of the interview process
- Excellent at use of Word, Google documents, and Adobe Acrobat Pro. Familiarity with Asana and Slack is desirable.
- An entrepreneurial mindset willing to try and advance innovative approaches to advancing the team’s vision
- General alignment with Reason Foundation’s mission to advance a free society by developing, applying, and promoting libertarian principles, including individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law.
- Location is negotiable; remote or work from Reason’s office in Washington D.C. or Los Angeles. Reason staff are located in various locations around the country.
Please send your resume, cover letter, references, and a writing sample in a single pdf to email@example.com