Education Policy Analyst
Reason Foundation, a non-profit, public policy think tank, is committed to improving the quality of education for all students by advancing choice and competition among schools as well as transparency and accountability for results. Reason’s work on school finance promotes student-based budgeting programs, which use free market principals to allow parents to choose the school that best fits their child’s unique educational needs and holds schools accountable for student outcomes. This innovative approach goes by a wide variety of names, including “backpack funding,” and “portability” – but by any name, such reforms devolve local control to schools and allow money to follow the child.
Reason is seeking a policy analyst to advance the research agenda on school finance as well as other areas of education reform. Specific responsibilities are likely to include:
- Conduct original research and data analysis on student-based budgeting programs across the country and their impact on student achievement and on spending at the school level
- Plan and execute communication strategies about project research and activities, including list management, writing, coordinating mailings, and developing partnerships with other organizations
- Support efforts to provide education, coaching and relevant materials to school and local elected officials interested in learning more about student-based budgeting programs
Qualifications and Experience:
- A solid understanding of free-market policy and passion for Reason’s mission and education reform
- Excellent data analysis and writing ability, including experience with excel and a statistical package such as stata, spss, or others
- Strong oral communication skills
- Experience in education policy, public policy, or related activities
- Master’s degree in relevant field is preferred, but not required
Job location is negotiable; DC or LA are preferred. Candidates at all levels of experience are invited to apply. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume, three professional references, and two relevant writing samples – all as a single word or pdf file – to email@example.com. Your cover letter should include a description of why you are interested in working for Reason, how your past experience is relevant to a role here, and a description of any relevant technical skills. Please also specify your desired job location and ability to relocate.
Founded in 1968, Reason advances a free society by developing, applying, and promoting individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law. Reason Foundation’s nonpartisan public policy research promotes choice, competition, and a dynamic market economy. Reason, the monthly print magazine and popular Web site of “free minds and free markets,” covers politics, culture, and ideas through a provocative mix of news, analysis, commentary, and reviews.
Reason provides full benefits to all individual employees, including health insurance coverage, long-term disability and life insurance, and a 403(b) retirement savings program.