- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
- Reason Magazine
- Reason-Rupe Poll
- Air Traffic E-Newsletter
- Airport Policy E-Newsletter
- Annual Highway Report
- Annual Privatization Report
- Court Briefs
- Innovators in Action
- Policy Studies
- Privatization Newsletter
- Pension Reform Newsletter
- Reason Alert E-Newsletter
- Transportation E-Newsletter
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Reason Foundation Experts
Director of Communications
Katherine Mangu-Ward is managing editor of Reason magazine. She writes about food, space, and education for Reason and Reason.com.
Mangu-Ward is a 2012 Bernard L. Schwartz fellow at the New America Foundation. Previously, she worked as a reporter for The Weekly Standard magazine and as a researcher at The New York Times op-ed page. Her work has appeared in The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times online and numerous other publications.
Mangu-Ward is a graduate of Yale University, where she received a B.A. in political science and philosophy. She lives in Washington, D.C.
photo credit: Lucia Gajda
- Broken Windows Around the World
The day after the East Coast earthquake, Bastiat's glazier is busy.
August 24, 2011
- McDonald's to Kids: Apple Slices For All, Whether or Not You Want Them
McDonald’s nudges kids to eat more fruit, fewer fries after being given a good shove by regulators
July 26, 2011
- Cheating Teachers Play the Blame Game
Atlanta's dishonest teachers say the data made them do it.
July 13, 2011
- Margarine Bootleggers Sent to Federal Prison
...and other stories of what happens when the government plays with your food.
June 22, 2011
- The Politics of Protection
The battles over the Endangered Species Act are all too human.
May 10, 2011
- Education Showdown
The irresistible force of school reform meets the immovable object of teachers unions.
April 18, 2011
- The Loughner Panic
Breaking down the media/political breakdown over the Tucson massacre
Ronald Bailey, Jacob Sullum, Nick Gillespie, Jesse Walker, Katherine Mangu-Ward, Brian Doherty and Radley Balko
March 14, 2011
- In the Long Run, Are We All Undead?
When the zombies come, the neocons will be ready.
February 18, 2011
- Education and the State of the Union
In which Obama rests on his laurels and tells parents and 20-somethings to get their acts together
January 27, 2011
- Beware Bipartisan School Reform
If everybody on the Hill is happy, Americans probably shouldn't be.
January 7, 2011
- Space Cheese and Other Breakthroughs
Good news from SpaceX as NASA struggles to make room for private space companies.
December 17, 2010
- Congress Forces Millions to Cut Up Their Credit Cards
The changing shape of plastic in America
December 1, 2010
- In Defense of Economic Growth
An interview with Ferraris for All author Daniel Ben-Ami
November 30, 2010
- Montana Wants Money for Nothing
When states vote for cheap payday loans, they wind up with no loans at all.
November 4, 2010
- "Secret Money from God Knows Where"
Campaign cash and finger-pointing in the post-Citizens United era
October 27, 2010
- Waiting for Superman Becomes Waiting for Godot
Telling tales about the demise of education reform in D.C.
October 13, 2010
- Let Them Eat Frankenfish!
After 15 years, the FDA is about to let genetically modified fish enter the food supply. It's about time.
September 24, 2010
- Throwing the Bums Out Is Harder Than It Looks
Despite voter outrage, most congressmen will win re-election.
September 15, 2010
- Knowing is Half the Battle. But It's the Easy Half.
Liberating teacher performance data is a great way to start out the school year. But it's not enough.
September 1, 2010
- Why Buy the Cow?
Legal weed, jokes about communists, and the perils of purchasing your own milk maker.
August 13, 2010
- New Rules for Schools
For-profit schools got fat on federal education money. Now the government wants to put them on a diet.
July 28, 2010
- Teachers Unions vs. Online Education
Kids live on the Internet. Why aren’t they learning online too?
July 20, 2010
- Wine Snobs and Suds Swillers Unite!
Legislation oozing its way up the Hill threatens open markets in beer, wine, and liquor.
July 8, 2010
- If You Love Newspapers, Let Them Go
A handy guide to kicking your dead tree habit
Katherine Mangu-Ward, Robby Soave and Jesse Kline
June 24, 2010
- Geopolitics and the Pill
Mistaken prophecies about the impact of oral contraception
June 18, 2010
- Cows, Copy, and Cash
Citizen journalism meets microfinance
June 10, 2010
- Meet Your New Commander-in-Geek
U.S. Cyber Command has no idea why it exists.
May 26, 2010
- Txting 2 Cut Gov't
The GOP launches a new site to allow citizens to vote on defunding pork
May 12, 2010
- Guerrilla Public Service
An artist surreptitiously improves L.A.'s highways.
April 30, 2010
- School Sucks: The Movie
A review of The Cartel, a documentary about school choice—and the lack thereof.
April 23, 2010
- Last Chance for School Reform
D.C. schools are the worst in the nation, but they may also be ripe for big changes.
April 7, 2010
- Traditional Schools Aren't Working. Let's Move Learning Online.
We already work online, play online, and shop online. Why isn't school online?
April 6, 2010
- Cocktails Cops Can't Resist
Bartenders revive classic cocktails. The law responds by reviving classic crackdowns.
April 2, 2010
- Nancy Pelosi: Jobs Junkie
The Speaker of the House just can't stop talking about jobs
March 24, 2010
- Who Will Watch The Watchmen?
An interview with National Journal's Shane Harris, author of a new book on the rise of the surveillance state
February 25, 2010
- The Politics of Giving
The Philanthropy Roundtable’s Adam Meyerson talks about the future of charity, power grabs by the IRS, and pressures to create a nonprofit cartel.
February 23, 2010
- Taking Money from Girl Scouts
Sweeping new regulations could strangle nonprofit financial literacy programs.
December 16, 2009
- Getting Virginia Off the Sauce
The Old Dominion's new governor promises to end the state liquor monopoly
November 12, 2009
- Consumer Financial Protection Vagary
Congress confuses the causes of the financial crisis—on purpose
October 23, 2009
- Payday of Reckoning
New laws aimed at kneecapping payday lenders will end up hurting the poor
September 25, 2009
- Inflation Returns!
Free market economists debate the prospects, fears, and even hopes for rising prices in post-crises America
James Grant, Steven Gjerstad, Donald Luskin, Peter Schiff, Scott Sumner, Randall Parker, Vernon Smith, Katherine Mangu-Ward and Jeffrey Rogers
September 22, 2009
- TARP Tall Tales
Phase 1: Spend $700 billion, Phase 2: ??, Phase 3: Profit?
September 3, 2009
- Obama Pulls an Agency Out of His...Hat
Rhetorical sleight of hand on the new Consumer Financial Protection Agency
June 26, 2009
- The Lure of the Czars
It took the Romanovs almost 300 years to produce 18 czars. Obama did it in less than 100 days.
May 22, 2009
- Blackbeard Economics
The surprising, and surprisingly tame, self-organization of pirates
May 21, 2009
- Is the Government Acting Like a Payday Lender?
Banks want to pay back their bailout loans early, but Treasury doesn't want to let them go
April 23, 2009
- Gimme Some Sugar
Pepsi and Pizza Hut go au naturel, but still make you fat
March 27, 2009
- Poll Finds Jobs, Environment Are Top Priority for Americans
...but so is almost everything else.
March 11, 2009
Page 1 of 1
- California 2014 High Speed Rail Business Plan Is Off Track (3/6)
- The Intentionally Unrealistic FY2015 Budget (3/4)
- Shallal's Top-Down Plan for D.C. Schools Hurts Parent Choice (3/3)
- Richmond CARES? (3/2)
- Government Could Improve the Development of Vehicle to Vehicle Communication by Getting Out of the Way (2/27)
Latest From Reason
Meredith Bragg (3/9)
Barack Obama and John Kerry might be just wrong
Ed Krayewski (3/9)
We vilify leisure yet embrace labor-saving devices.
Sheldon Richman (3/9)
How government regulators tried to kill the skin & ink trade.
Damon Root (3/8)
©2014 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email email@example.com if you have questions about this Web site.