Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
The United States of Paranoia, featuring Jesse Walker, New York City, October 8
- October 8, 2013
The United States of Paranoia, featuring Jesse Walker
New York City
Conspiracy theories have been a potent force across the political spectrum, at the center as well as the extremes, from the colonial era to the present. Jesse Walker will be interviewed by John Tierney about his new book, in The United States of Paranoia.
Walker explores this rich history, arguing that conspiracy stories should be read not just as claims to be either believed or debunked but also as folklore. When a tale takes hold, it reveals something true about the anxieties and experiences of those who believe and repeat it, even if the story says nothing true about the objects of the theory itself.
Jesse Walker is books editor of Reason and the author of one other book, Rebels on the Air: An Alternative History of Radio in America.
Register using the link above.
- Privatization & Government Reform Newsletter #2 (Dec 2013 edition) (12/3)
- The Search for a National Freight Policy (12/2)
- More Boasts from California Contractor Regulators For Wasting Time and Money (11/29)
- Massachusetts State and Municipal Retiree Systems Costly, Underfunded (11/29)
- Innovators in Action (November 2013 edition): Pursuing Fiscal Self-Reliance in Utah (11/27)
Latest From Reason
Could American businesses learn from foreign ones a lesson in self-reliance?
The state can make reforms that are both better for governance and fairer to union workers than the status quo.