Today, Senate Republicans Defeated Big Labor's Card Check bill today; the motion failed to proceed 51-48. If the bill had passed it would have stripped workers of their right to a private, federally-supervised election when it came to deciding on union representation. Under the proposed Card Check system, there wouldn't even be an election. A union would have been organized if 50%+1 simply signed a card stating that they wanted a union. Imagine employers, union organizers and/or co-workers surrounding you and saying, "Just sign the card, sign the card."
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Taxpayers Win - Big Labor's Card Check Bill Defeated
- How Pension Reform Can Help the City of Omaha (7/21)
- Endangered Species and the Export-Import Bank (7/17)
- Reason Foundation Submits Letter to U.S. Sentencing Commission Supporting "Drugs Minus Two" Retroactivity (7/11)
- An Analysis of Transportation Policy and MAP-21 Reauthorization with Bob Poole (7/10)
- I-285/GA 400 Interchange Reconstruction Needed (7/8)