Fish & Wildlife Service has reopened the comment period for proposed listing of red knot, a species of sandpiper that migrates from South America up the East Coast in the spring and takes a variety of routes south in the fall, including along the Gulf Coast. While officials in Delaware like the red knot, because it congregates there and is a tourism draw, officials in North Carolina and Texas are worried if the bird is listed under the Endangered Species Act it could interfere with economic activity, such as dredging shipping channels and home building.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Comment Period Re-Opened on Proposal to List Rufa Red Knot as Threatened
- Streetcars are the Wrong Way to go on Columbia Pike (7/24)
- Poll Shows Voters Support State-based Sage Grouse Conservation (7/24)
- Lucy Burns Institute Launches Policypedia (7/22)
- How to Structure a Good Defined Contribution Plan (7/22)
- New Landowner-friendly Endangered Species Policy: Not so New, Not so Friendly (7/22)