Mayor Richard Daley said he would halt all street repaving projects by city employees and assign their work to private contractors because he is "sick and tired" of public corruption. The move heightened fears that the mayor would use the corruption scandal as a pretext for slashing the city payroll.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Chicago to Privatize Paving
- How to Avoid Closing Washington State Parks (5/17)
- Give Managed Lane Conversions Time (5/16)
- Why is the CDC Being Anti-Science on State Liquor Privatization? (5/14)
- Louisiana Republicans Introduce Bills to Replicate Massachusetts's Pro-Union, Anti-Privatization “Pacheco Law” (5/9)
- 40th Anniversary of the Rockefeller Drug Laws: Time to Re-think Sentencing Policy (5/8)