Mayor Richard Daley said he would halt all street repaving projects by city employees and assign their work to private contractors because he is "sick and tired" of public corruption. The move heightened fears that the mayor would use the corruption scandal as a pretext for slashing the city payroll.
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Chicago to Privatize Paving
- Union Negotiations in West Coast Ports Threaten the National Economy (7/25)
- Streetcars are the Wrong Way to go on Columbia Pike (7/24)
- Poll Shows Voters Support State-based Sage Grouse Conservation (7/24)
- Lucy Burns Institute Launches Policypedia (7/22)
- How to Structure a Good Defined Contribution Plan (7/22)