- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Policy Study Authors
Leonard Gilroy is the Director of Government Reform at Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank advancing free minds and free markets. Gilroy researches privatization, government reform, fiscal, transportation, infrastructure and urban policy issues.
Gilroy has a diversified background in policy research and implementation, with particular emphases on public-private partnerships, competition, government efficiency, transparency, accountability, and government performance. Gilroy has worked closely with legislators and elected officials in Texas, Arizona, Louisiana, New Jersey, Utah, Virginia, California and several other states and local governments in efforts to design and implement market-based policy approaches, improve government performance, enhance accountability in government programs, and reduce government spending.
In 2010 and 2011, Gilroy served as a gubernatorial appointee to the Arizona Commission on Privatization and Efficiency, and in 2010 he served as an advisor to the New Jersey Privatization Task Force, created by Gov. Chris Christie.
Gilroy is the editor of the widely-read Annual Privatization Report, which examines trends and chronicles the experiences of local, state, and federal governments in bringing competition to public services. Gilroy also edits Reason's annual Innovators in Action report, which profiles public sector innovators in their own words, including former U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue, former New York City Mayor Rudy Guiliani and more.
Gilroy's articles have been featured in such leading publications as The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, New York Post, The Weekly Standard, Washington Times, Houston Chronicle, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Arizona Republic, San Francisco Examiner, San Diego Union-Tribune, Philadelphia Inquirer, Sacramento Bee and The Salt Lake Tribune. He has also appeared on CNN, Fox News Channel, Fox Business, CNBC, National Public Radio and other media outlets.
Prior to joining Reason, Gilroy was a senior planner at a Louisiana-based urban planning consulting firm. He also worked as a research assistant at the Virginia Center for Coal and Energy Research at Virginia Tech. Gilroy earned a B.A. and M.A. in Urban and Regional Planning from Virginia Tech.
- Houston's "New Weather Urbanism"
April 1, 2005, 3:29pm
- Spring Forward: Golfers, farmers, and DST
March 31, 2005, 6:44am
- U.N. Suggests Markets to Combat Global Environmental Degradation
March 30, 2005, 8:01am
- No Link Between Global Warming and Air Quality
March 30, 2005, 7:27am
- Perspective on Sprawl
March 30, 2005, 7:20am
- City Housing Authority Severs Ties with HUD
March 29, 2005, 11:15am
- Improving SBA Via Performance Assessment
March 21, 2005, 10:43am
- FL Court Nixes Ballot-Box Zoning Initiative
March 20, 2005, 9:29am
- Peeking Behind Kyoto's Curtain
March 18, 2005, 2:49pm
- VA Supremes Strike Down Loudoun's Slow Growth Law
March 4, 2005, 11:40am
- U.S. Forest Acreage On the Rise
February 28, 2005, 12:15pm
- Shopping Mall 2.0
February 24, 2005, 8:33am
- Global Warming: Been there, done that
February 24, 2005, 7:18am
- Europe Dizzy Over Kyoto
February 23, 2005, 2:56pm
- Kelo vs. New London Roundup
February 23, 2005, 2:39pm
- Kyoto Hot Air
February 21, 2005, 10:18pm
- Kyoto Protocol - Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing
February 15, 2005, 2:12pm
- Breaking the 'Hockey Stick'
February 14, 2005, 9:10am
- Put Amtrak Out of its Misery
February 9, 2005, 7:07am
- FY06 Federal Budget Roundup
February 7, 2005, 11:20am
- Feds to Reduce Economic Development Program Waste
February 7, 2005, 10:43am
- Climate Change Debate Heats Up
February 7, 2005, 9:36am
- GA Legislation Targets Eminent Domain Abuse
February 6, 2005, 11:14am
- Suburbia Grows Up
February 6, 2005, 9:59am
- Dual-Rate Income Tax Proposed
February 5, 2005, 1:22pm
- Legos for Smart Growth
February 4, 2005, 1:07pm
- EU Holds Uganda Hostage Over DDT
February 4, 2005, 11:30am
- If We Can Tax It, We Will
February 3, 2005, 8:11pm
- Colorado's TABOR Turns Ten
February 3, 2005, 10:52am
- UK Climate Conference: We're Toast!
February 3, 2005, 8:38am
- Soaking the Rich...OK, Everybody...for PA Transit
February 2, 2005, 3:34pm
- Housing Prices and Regulation: Econ 101 Still Applies
February 1, 2005, 3:25pm
- Recipe for Disaster in California
February 1, 2005, 3:04pm
- Houston Metro: Trains, Buses, and...Eminent Domain?
January 31, 2005, 11:34am
- End the Redistribution of Drivers' Wealth
January 31, 2005, 9:31am
- Life in the Frying Pan
January 31, 2005, 9:12am
- Climate Change Roundup
January 30, 2005, 12:49pm
- Land Grabbers on the March
January 30, 2005, 11:31am
- Good News on Eminent Domain Front
January 28, 2005, 1:36pm
- Local Tax Assessors in the Crosshairs
January 28, 2005, 11:08am
- The Death Knell for Global Warming Alarmism
January 27, 2005, 7:31pm
- Climate Change Redux
January 26, 2005, 10:01pm
- GAO: Transportation Projects Often Fail to Meet Cost and Usage Projections
January 26, 2005, 9:08pm
- Smarter Growth through Road Pricing
January 26, 2005, 1:17pm
- Taking On Fresno's High Housing Prices
January 25, 2005, 12:06pm
- Politicos, Bureaucrats and Planners Voice Support for Legal Property Theft
January 24, 2005, 12:53pm
- Digging Into the Latest Hysterical Climate Change Report
January 24, 2005, 9:11am
- Contrasts in Climate Change
January 23, 2005, 2:56pm
- Cover Your Eyes...The Streets are Naked!
January 23, 2005, 9:08am
- Competitive Tendering Could Address Metro's Financial Woes
January 23, 2005, 8:46am
©2013 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about this Web site.