- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Policy Study Authors
Leonard Gilroy is the Director of Government Reform at Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank advancing free minds and free markets. Gilroy researches privatization, government reform, fiscal, transportation, infrastructure and urban policy issues.
Gilroy has a diversified background in policy research and implementation, with particular emphases on public-private partnerships, competition, government efficiency, transparency, accountability, and government performance. Gilroy has worked closely with legislators and elected officials in Texas, Arizona, Louisiana, New Jersey, Utah, Virginia, California and several other states and local governments in efforts to design and implement market-based policy approaches, improve government performance, enhance accountability in government programs, and reduce government spending.
In 2010 and 2011, Gilroy served as a gubernatorial appointee to the Arizona Commission on Privatization and Efficiency, and in 2010 he served as an advisor to the New Jersey Privatization Task Force, created by Gov. Chris Christie.
Gilroy is the editor of the widely-read Annual Privatization Report, which examines trends and chronicles the experiences of local, state, and federal governments in bringing competition to public services. Gilroy also edits Reason's annual Innovators in Action report, which profiles public sector innovators in their own words, including former U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue, former New York City Mayor Rudy Guiliani and more.
Gilroy's articles have been featured in such leading publications as The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, New York Post, The Weekly Standard, Washington Times, Houston Chronicle, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Arizona Republic, San Francisco Examiner, San Diego Union-Tribune, Philadelphia Inquirer, Sacramento Bee and The Salt Lake Tribune. He has also appeared on CNN, Fox News Channel, Fox Business, CNBC, National Public Radio and other media outlets.
Prior to joining Reason, Gilroy was a senior planner at a Louisiana-based urban planning consulting firm. He also worked as a research assistant at the Virginia Center for Coal and Energy Research at Virginia Tech. Gilroy earned a B.A. and M.A. in Urban and Regional Planning from Virginia Tech.
- More on Sen. Cornyn's Eminent Domain Bill
June 28, 2005, 10:37am
- Justice Souter: First Kelo Victim?
June 27, 2005, 10:58am
- New Urbanism and Markets: A Delicate Balance
June 27, 2005, 9:44am
- Cornyn Bill Would Limit Eminent Domain Power
June 26, 2005, 2:52pm
- More on SCOTUS Kelo Decision
June 22, 2005, 2:27pm
- SCOTUS Sides Against Property Rights in Kelo Case
June 22, 2005, 8:27am
- Land Use Micromanagement 101
June 21, 2005, 2:50pm
- Rail Disasters 2005
June 21, 2005, 2:05pm
- The Segway: Modern Ecothreat?
June 20, 2005, 2:48pm
- Private Solar Sail Orbiter Launches
June 20, 2005, 1:14pm
- Growing Interest in TABOR Laws
June 16, 2005, 1:37pm
- Markets and New Urbanism
June 13, 2005, 9:45am
- "Sustainable" Cities Need More Than Good Intentions
June 13, 2005, 9:25am
- More on OMB FY04 Competitive Sourcing Report
June 12, 2005, 12:41pm
- Global Warming News Roundup, Part II
June 12, 2005, 11:35am
- Global Warming News Roundup, Part I
June 7, 2005, 11:00am
- Urban Kyotos?
May 30, 2005, 10:46am
- Hurricane Hogwash
May 30, 2005, 9:53am
- Hot Housing Market Spawns Urban Renewal
May 25, 2005, 2:47pm
- Is There Really an Urban Renaissance in America?
May 25, 2005, 1:57pm
- ESA Reform in the Works?
May 24, 2005, 9:31am
- Retail and Flat Earth Planning
May 24, 2005, 8:40am
- Update on Texas Regulatory Takings Bill
May 23, 2005, 12:24pm
- Smart Growth and Environmentalism's Growing Pains
May 23, 2005, 11:15am
- Hot vs. Moral Cities
May 22, 2005, 2:23pm
- Unlocking Gridlock in Houston
May 17, 2005, 1:07pm
- Don't Pop that Cork Just Yet
May 16, 2005, 8:15am
- Why are Home Prices Soaring in Florida?
May 16, 2005, 7:55am
- Move to Repeal Wisconsin's 'Smart Growth' Law
May 12, 2005, 2:03pm
- A Measure 37 (of Sorts) in Texas?
May 10, 2005, 9:39am
- Earth Day 2005 - Getting Better all the Time
April 21, 2005, 2:19pm
- Saving Environmentalism Through Markets
April 21, 2005, 1:46pm
- Forget Rail, L.A -- Try Tolls and Private Transit
April 19, 2005, 11:07am
- Holding Hands with New Urbanists
April 19, 2005, 10:39am
- More Econ 101: Restrict Housing and Prices Will Rise
April 19, 2005, 10:07am
- Stuck in Traffic? Blame Starbucks
April 17, 2005, 10:43am
- Miami to Scrap Its Zoning Code
April 17, 2005, 10:13am
- CDBG in the Crosshairs
April 17, 2005, 8:36am
- New Research Exposes Extreme Bias in Rail Demand Forecasting
April 12, 2005, 12:15pm
- Global Warming and Property Rights
April 11, 2005, 10:12am
- Crunching and Massaging the Data
April 11, 2005, 9:22am
- Wal-Mart and Downtown Renewal
April 10, 2005, 5:32pm
- Reigning in Fannie and Freddie
April 10, 2005, 10:19am
- Nashville's smokin' hot!
April 10, 2005, 9:08am
- Variable Rate Pricing Boosts Waste Diversion Rates
April 8, 2005, 2:51pm
- Environmental Econ, Austrian Style
April 8, 2005, 9:37am
- CEQA in the Crosshairs
April 7, 2005, 9:49am
- Bull Market for Eco-restoration
April 7, 2005, 9:04am
- TSA Shakeup in the Works
April 7, 2005, 7:49am
- Big Bellwood is Watching You
April 3, 2005, 10:41am
©2013 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email email@example.com if you have questions about this Web site.