- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Policy Study Authors
Leonard Gilroy is the Director of Government Reform at Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank advancing free minds and free markets. Gilroy researches privatization, government reform, fiscal, transportation, infrastructure and urban policy issues.
Gilroy has a diversified background in policy research and implementation, with particular emphases on public-private partnerships, competition, government efficiency, transparency, accountability, and government performance. Gilroy has worked closely with legislators and elected officials in Texas, Arizona, Louisiana, New Jersey, Utah, Virginia, California and several other states and local governments in efforts to design and implement market-based policy approaches, improve government performance, enhance accountability in government programs, and reduce government spending.
In 2010 and 2011, Gilroy served as a gubernatorial appointee to the Arizona Commission on Privatization and Efficiency, and in 2010 he served as an advisor to the New Jersey Privatization Task Force, created by Gov. Chris Christie.
Gilroy is the editor of the widely-read Annual Privatization Report, which examines trends and chronicles the experiences of local, state, and federal governments in bringing competition to public services. Gilroy also edits Reason's annual Innovators in Action report, which profiles public sector innovators in their own words, including former U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue, former New York City Mayor Rudy Guiliani and more.
Gilroy's articles have been featured in such leading publications as The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, New York Post, The Weekly Standard, Washington Times, Houston Chronicle, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Arizona Republic, San Francisco Examiner, San Diego Union-Tribune, Philadelphia Inquirer, Sacramento Bee and The Salt Lake Tribune. He has also appeared on CNN, Fox News Channel, Fox Business, CNBC, National Public Radio and other media outlets.
Prior to joining Reason, Gilroy was a senior planner at a Louisiana-based urban planning consulting firm. He also worked as a research assistant at the Virginia Center for Coal and Energy Research at Virginia Tech. Gilroy earned a B.A. and M.A. in Urban and Regional Planning from Virginia Tech.
- Costco Steps Up for Liquor Privatization in WA State
May 26, 2010, 6:20pm
- Talking Trash: Memphis Union Holds Anti-Privatization Town Hall, But Fed-up Attendees Say "Privatize It"
May 26, 2010, 5:10pm
- Public Safety Outsourcing Benefiting Cities
May 25, 2010, 4:56pm
- Arizona Privatizing State Workers Compensation Fund
May 24, 2010, 8:07pm
- Louisiana Legislature Considering Anti-Privatization Bills that Would Grow Government & Hurt Private Jobs, Part 1
May 21, 2010, 6:40pm
- Health Care Reform to Bend the Cost Curve Down? Medicare Actuary Says No.
April 23, 2010, 10:17am
- Cutting Prison Costs in California
April 9, 2010, 12:27pm
- Privatization of Printing Services Jammed in Washington State
March 30, 2010, 1:10pm
- Louisiana Announces Privatization of Insurance Program
March 16, 2010, 6:59pm
- NJ Gov. Chris Christie Creates Privatization Commission
March 11, 2010, 4:19pm
- Video: CNBC's Power Lunch on Privatization
March 11, 2010, 2:41pm
- Tales of the Absurd: Minnesota Public Employee Union Says 'We'll Embrace Change if You Protect Our Jobs"
March 11, 2010, 12:44pm
- Philadelphia Needs Competition for Waste Collection
March 9, 2010, 4:36pm
- Privatization Saving Puppies, Hungry D.C. Pols, and Libyan Camel Breeding
March 8, 2010, 12:15pm
- Amid Illinois' Fiscal Woes, Chicago Proves Tax Hikes and Service Cuts Aren't the Only Option
March 5, 2010, 6:30pm
- Chicago's Use of Asset Lease Proceeds: A Clarification
February 26, 2010, 11:42am
- Paris to Rebuild Zoo through $181 Million Public-Private Partnership
February 25, 2010, 8:36pm
- Detroit Public Schools To Privatize Bus Services
February 25, 2010, 4:35pm
- Printing Isn't a Core Government Function, So Just Privatize It Already
February 25, 2010, 3:18pm
- Private Sector Can Rescue State Parks Headed for Closure
February 24, 2010, 4:24pm
- Former NM Gov. Gary Johnson on Competitive Contracting in Corrections
February 20, 2010, 2:06pm
- Five No-Brainer Cost Saving Ideas for Government
February 19, 2010, 7:28pm
- Engaging the Private Sector on Government Procurement
February 18, 2010, 6:58pm
- New Deloitte Reports on Infrastructure Partnerships
February 18, 2010, 6:32pm
- Louisiana Budget Chief Angele Davis on Streamlining State Government
February 18, 2010, 4:05pm
- Getting Government Out of the Parking Business
February 17, 2010, 5:40pm
- Chicago Business and Labor Leaders: Time to Privatize Midway Airport
February 17, 2010, 1:44pm
- Privatization Success at Kennedy Space Center
February 17, 2010, 1:20pm
- Parking Garage Privatization a Smart Move For L.A.
February 16, 2010, 7:59pm
- Former NSW Premier Bob Carr on Mobilizing Private Capital for Infrastructure
February 11, 2010, 5:23pm
- Kentucky House Leaders Want to Bet the Budget on Another Federal Bailout
February 10, 2010, 4:16pm
- Social Security Veers into the Red
February 10, 2010, 2:49pm
- Animal Shelter Privatization Success in Kansas City
February 9, 2010, 1:54pm
- Louisiana Privatizing Correctional Pharmacy Services
February 8, 2010, 12:04pm
- Samuelson on the U.S. Fiscal "Candor Gap"
February 8, 2010, 11:34am
- Americans Want Spending Cuts
February 4, 2010, 2:24pm
- Moody's: Deficits Jeopardize U.S. Government's Aaa Bond Rating
February 3, 2010, 6:04pm
- Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue on Bringing Business Smarts to Georgia Government
February 3, 2010, 3:56pm
- Obama's Proposed Budget and the Fantasy of Fiscal Responsibility
February 2, 2010, 3:51pm
- Weaning Dependent, Spending-Addicted States From the Enabling Feds
February 2, 2010, 2:18pm
- Innovators in Action 2009
January 29, 2010, 4:22pm
- Smoke and Mirrors: Discretionary Spending Freeze Savings Partially Offset by Higher Stimulus Costs
January 27, 2010, 7:15am
- Governing on Chicago's Parking Meter Privatization; Las Vegas Issues RFP
January 25, 2010, 1:38pm
- Richmond, VA Mayor Proposes Privatization, Agency Elimination to Close Budget Deficit
January 23, 2010, 12:39pm
- Privatization of Colorado's State Workers Comp Insurer Back on the Table
January 22, 2010, 3:32pm
- Federal Debt Ceiling Rising and Rising and Rising
January 22, 2010, 12:26pm
- Making the DMV Experience Even Worse
January 22, 2010, 12:18pm
- Government Workers Now Make Up 51.5 Percent of All Union Members
January 22, 2010, 12:10pm
- Checking In on Indy, Pittsburgh Parking Privatization
January 20, 2010, 7:12pm
- New Privatization Watch: Focus on Education
January 16, 2010, 5:59pm
©2013 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email email@example.com if you have questions about this Web site.