- About Reason
- Policy Areas
- Policy Studies
- Press Room
Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Policy Study Authors
Shirley Ybarra is a senior transportation policy analyst at Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank advancing free minds and free markets.
Ms. Ybarra served as Secretary of Transportation for the Commonwealth of Virginia from 1998 to 2002, overseeing a budget of $3.2 billion and a staff of 13,000 people. Between 1994 and 1998, Ybarra was Virginia's Deputy Secretary of Transportation.
Ybarra also served as senior policy advisor and special assistant for policy for U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole from 1983 to 1987. In that role, Ybarra managed the transfer and privatization of Dulles and National Airports to the Washington Metropolitan Airport Authority.
Ybarra authored Virginia's Public-Private Transportation Act of 1995, considered the model public-private partnership legislation in the United States.
In 2001, Ybarra received the American Road and Transportation Builders Association's "Public-Private Ventures Entrepreneur of the Year Award" for her leadership in designing innovative infrastructure financing.
She holds a Master's degree in Economics and a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln.
- Virginia Shouldn't Restrict Its Public-Private Transportation Act
Remarks at the Thomas Jefferson Institute Transportation Roundtable
December 19, 2012
- Reason Foundation, Bipartisan Policy Center, Building America's Future and Others Urge Congress to Give State and Local Governments More Transportation Flexibility
Fix the highway bill so state and local governments have flexibility to use pricing, private capital and other needed funding sources
May 16, 2012
- Tunnel Project Needs to Move Ahead
Improvements are vital to mobility, port commerce and regional economy
Shirley Ybarra and Leonard Gilroy
April 13, 2012
- Congress Passes Short-Term Transportation Bill
How Congress struggled with the bill’s tolling provisions
March 30, 2012
- Virginia's High Occupancy Toll (HOT) Lanes Changed to 'Express Lanes'
An in-depth look at the highway project
February 1, 2012
- Telecommuting Can Add to Our Mobility
As telecommuting share grows, so do the benefits
October 1, 2009
- Seattle's Toll Lanes Aren't Lexus Lanes
HOT lanes are reducing congestion and helping all commuters
August 24, 2009
- Converting Carpool Lanes to Toll Lanes Will Reduce Congestion in DC and Virginia
Tolls will also help generate revenue to pay for much-needed projects that won't be built otherwise
Shirley Ybarra and Robert Poole
August 12, 2009
- Port Privatization Trend Growing
More ports looking to public-private partnerships to fund improvements and expansion
April 23, 2009
- Even During the Recession Private Companies Are Investing In Ports
Private sector is driving modernization efforts
March 19, 2009
- Transportation Spending Won't Stimulate Economy
Infrastructure projects aren't really ready-to-go and using private sector financing could save taxpayers hundreds of billions
Shirley Ybarra and Anthony Randazzo
January 27, 2009
- HOT Lanes Will Bring Congestion Relief to Northern Virginia
Toll lanes will mean more opportunities for carpooling and slugs
December 23, 2008
- Temporary Fix for Transportation Trust Fund
States should look to private sector for help building, maintaining infrastructure
October 1, 2008
- Sustainable Mobility in American Cities
Road pricing, transit and private sector funding should all play a role
Shirley Ybarra and Samuel Staley
September 8, 2008
- CalPERS Funds Could Reduce California's Congestion Crisis
State's massive infrastructure needs could get big boost
August 27, 2008
- No New Taxes and Building Roads in Virginia
State should put private capital to work solving our transportation problems
July 23, 2008
- Tax Increases Are Wrong Fix for Virginia's Congestion Woes
State needs to turn to innovative solutions, not tax increases
June 4, 2008
- Virginia Saving Money With Fixed-Price Interstate Maintenance Deal
Florida and international community have demonstrated there are significant savings to be had
May 8, 2008
- Feds Don't Need Bigger Role in Public-Private Partnerships
States can best determine what works for their own road projects
April 1, 2008
- Spend Transportation Dollars on Transportation
Virginia continues to raid funds intended for infrastructure
January 26, 2008
Page 1 of 1
©2013 The Reason Foundation. All rights reserved.
5737 Mesmer Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90230 (310) 391-2245
Please email email@example.com if you have questions about this Web site.