Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Subsection of Annual Privatization Report 2013: Local Government PrivatizationMay 6, 2013
This subsection of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013: Local Government Privatization reviews failing attempts to implement municipal broadband.
Privatization trends in local, state and federal government, plus roads, highways, aviation, education, telecom and moreApril 1, 2013
Now in its 26th year of publication, Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report is the world's longest running and most comprehensive report on privatization news, developments and trends.
Annual Privatization Report 2013 (APR 2013) details the latest on privatization and government reform initiatives at all levels of government. The individual sections, which will be released in the weeks ahead, include:
- Air Transportation
- Surface Transportation
- Federal Government Privatization
- State Government Privatization
- Local Government Privatization
- Criminal Justice and Corrections
Funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), commonly known as the $787-billion stimulus enacted in 2009, financed public broadband buildouts in areas already served by commercial service providers.
According to an AP story out of Buffalo, N.Y., federal agents armed with assault weapons stormed a residence in the early morning hours last month looking for child porn on a home PC. The homeowner, whom the article did not identify, was roughed up and forced to the floor at gunpoint while agents accused him of being a creep and pervert.
Telecommunications Chapter of Annual Privatization Report 2010February 25, 2011
- IT outsourcing in state governments,
- Cloud computing and the future of IT outsourcing,
- the national Network Neutrality debate, and
- an analysis of the FCC's new National Broadband Plan.
View Resources by Type
- The Year 2010 in IT Outsourcing, Network Neutrality, and Federal Broadband
Telecommunications Chapter of Annual Privatization Report 2010
Steven Titch and Leonard Gilroy
February 25, 2011
- Rethinking Universal-Service Policy in a Broadband Internet Era
Bringing inexpensive broadband connectivity to as many people as possible
Policy Study 376
September 2, 2009
- iProvo Revisited: Another Year and Still Struggling
Policy Brief 69
April 1, 2008
- Spinning its Wheels
An Analysis of Lessons Learned from iProvo's First 18 Months of Municipal Broadband
December 1, 2006
- A Dynamic Perspective on Government Broadband Initiatives
December 1, 2006
- The Municipal Broadband Compact
Limiting the Role of Municipalities in Broadband Services
September 1, 2005
Experts: Municipal Broadband and WiFi
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Steven Titch
RSS Feeds: Municipal Broadband and WiFi
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.