Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
"Thank goodness for Reason.... one sane voice fighting tons of nonsense."
John Stossel, ABC's 20/20
"Reason Foundation’s tolerance, civility, and consistency in defending individual liberty make it a haven for believers in a free society of all shades of opinion."
Milton Friedman, Nobel Laureate in Economics
"Reason has excellent discussions of economic, political, and social issues. It does not simply assume the case for free markets and free choice, but persuades readers with careful analysis."
Gary S. Becker, Nobel Laureate in Economics
Recent Research and Commentary
We know the system is going to run out of money. The question is whether or not state leaders will do anything about it.November 12, 2013
The most recent accounting of California's state debt, including unfunded pension liabilities, pegs the total at nearly $620 billion. Like our national debt, the state's bills will only keep growing as long as Sacramento clings to its "spend now, fund it later" philosophy.
Many criticisms of payday lending are based on myths. The evidence shows payday lending offers benefits to consumersNovember 5, 2013
Instead of restricting or eliminating payday lending markets through regulation, policymakers should seek to open them up to competition by repealing payday lending bans and regulations. The goal should be to maximize consumer choice and minimize the cost of short-term loan transactions. This will benefit economic growth generally and short-term borrowers in particular.
Reason-Rupe Poll: Just 32 Percent Say President Obama Is Handling Foreign Policy Better Than President George W. Bush Did
74 percent of Americans say strikes on Syria would be "unwise" and half of Americans believe the "D.C. establishment" wants war more than the public doesSeptember 10, 2013
As the country debates launching airstrikes on Syria, President Barack Obama's standing on foreign policy has taken such a hit that the latest Reason-Rupe poll finds 64 percent of Americans, including 68 percent of independents and 41 percent of Democrats, believe President Obama's handling of foreign policy is worse than, or the same as, former President George W. Bush's handling of foreign policy. Just 32 percent of Americans say President Obama is handling foreign policy better than Bush did.
Bondholders in Detroit should be repaid as much as possible, but once the money has run out they need to recognize they were taking risks with their lending and have to be held responsible too.
View Resources by Type
- "Economics Teaches Us Humility": Q&A with George Mason University's Pete Boettke
October 15th, 2013
- Gene Epstein: Murray Rothbard's Mixed Legacy
August 30th, 2013
- How Bitcoin is Reinventing The Monetary System: Q&A with Laissez Faire Books' Jeffrey Tucker
August 17th, 2013
- John Hasnas on the Failure of the Market Failure Argument
May 26th, 2013
- Peter Suderman Discusses the Wasted $833 billion Stimulus on C-SPAN's Washington Journal
May 17th, 2013
- Why the GOP Should Embrace Science: The Conservative Future Project's Joshua Jacobs
April 26th, 2013
- Vernon Smith and Steve Gjerstad on Housing and the Never-Ending Recession
April 7th, 2013
- Loving Hayek and Partying with Milk: Q&A with Dorian Electra
February 24th, 2013
- Drugs, Guns, and the Fiscal Cliff: Emily Ekins on New Reason-Rupe Poll
February 8th, 2013
- The Plight of the Alpha Female: Kay Hymowitz
February 4th, 2013
- Lanny Ebenstein: The Indispensable Milton Friedman
January 7th, 2013
- I, Tomato: Morning Star's Radical Approach to Management
December 27th, 2012
- Shikha Dalmia Debates Immigration, Economics, and Open Borders at Hillsdale College Free Market Forum
October 23rd, 2012
- Liberty Fund's Chris Talley on Freedom, Dialogue, and Ama-gi Tattoos
October 23rd, 2012
- The Knockoff Economy: How Copying Benefits Everyone
October 22nd, 2012
- Hayek Institute's Barbara Kolm on the Eurozone Crisis
October 21st, 2012
- Russ Roberts: Why Keynesians Always Get it Wrong (and Most Economists Too)
October 11th, 2012
- Marginal Revolution University: Q&A with Alex Tabarrok
October 9th, 2012
- Too Big To Regulate: Barron's Gene Epstein on Dodd-Frank
September 30th, 2012
- Obama's Recovery That Wasn't; Plus: How to Really Cut Defense Spending!
August 23rd, 2012
- How Free Markets Will Beat Climate Change: Q&A with UCLA's Matthew Kahn
July 5th, 2012
- Washington's Parasitic Economy with The Weekly Standard's Andrew Ferguson
June 22nd, 2012
- Surprise: Economic Mobility is Alive and Well in America!
June 21st, 2012
- Will Seattle Become the Capital of Social Entrepreneurship?
June 14th, 2012
- Hemp History Week: Ending the War on George Washington's Favorite Crop
June 4th, 2012
- Taxpayer's Guide to the Stimulus
Where is all that stimulus money going?
- State Governments Face Deficits and Fiscal Trouble Because of Spending
From 2002 to 2007, state spending rose 50 percent faster than inflation
- Is America Following the Policies that Caused Japan's "Lost Decade"?
Federal government is repeating many of the same mistakes that created Japan's Lost Decade
- The Benefits of Right-to-Work (11/12)
- Pension System Predicament (11/12)
- Payday Lending: Protecting or Harming Consumers? (11/5)
- Reason-Rupe Poll: Just 32 Percent Say President Obama Is Handling Foreign Policy Better Than President George W. Bush Did (9/10)
- Richmond's Bad Idea to Use Eminent Domain Against Underwater Mortgages (7/31)
Experts: Economy and Economics
- Shikha Dalmia
- Brian Doherty
- Katie Furtick
- Nick Gillespie
Editor in Chief, Reason.com and Reason TV
- Katherine Mangu-Ward
Managing Editor, Reason
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Julian Morris
Vice President, Research
- Anthony Randazzo
Director of Economic Research
- Samuel Staley
RSS Feeds: Economy and Economics
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.