Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Policymakers and citizens in the 17 "control" states like Pennsylvania should take the CDC's anti-privatization stance with a major grain of salt, as it rests on a dubious scientific foundation.
Subsection of Annual Privatization Report 2013: State Government PrivatizationApril 22, 2013
This subsection of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013: State Government Privatization explores the latest on state attempts to privatize their retail and/or wholesale liquor monopolies, with updates from Washington State, Pennsylvania and more.
CNN is reporting that President Obama wants to raise federal cigarette taxes by 94 cents per pack. The tax is being sold as a way to help the poor, with the revenue supposedly going to early childhood education programs. But if the results of state cigarette taxes are any indication, the tax will disproportionately hurt the poor, fund programs directly connected to politicians and negatively impact small businesses, all while consistently failing to meet revenue goals.
On Tuesday, the Supreme Court heard oral arguments on California’s Proposition 8 and today it is hearing arguments on the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA. A decision on Proposition 8 could determine whether California, and possibly other states, can legally ban gay marriage. But, after attending yesterday’s arguments, Reason’s Damon Root says, "The Supreme Court seems to think that the backers of Proposition 8 don't have the standing to bring this case, which would send the case back to the district courts."
View Resources by Type
- Brian Doherty Talks Ron Paul's Delegate Strategy on PBS Newshour
May 16th, 2012
- Sex and the Supreme Court: The True Story of Lawrence v Texas
May 3rd, 2012
- How Sex Offender Registries Fail Us
March 14th, 2012
- Kennedy on Whitney Houston, Adele, &... Michelle Obama?
February 17th, 2012
- Heather Donahue on Growing Marijuana, Life After 'Blair Witch,' and the Beauty of 'Grey' Markets
January 31st, 2012
- Who's Lethal? Police or Tasers
January 12th, 2012
- Remy: Grandma Got Indefinitely Detained (A Very TSA Christmas)
December 20th, 2011
- Ending the Global Drug War: Voices from the Front Lines
December 13th, 2011
- Assassinations, Spying and The Constitution: ACLU President Susan Herman Talks Big Government Taking Liberties
December 12th, 2011
- "Shut Up. You Don't Get a Lawyer!": The Defense Authorization Act Guts Civil Liberties
December 5th, 2011
- LAPD Stands Down on Occupy LA
November 29th, 2011
- Keeping New Hampshire Awesome: Q&A with the Free State Project President Carla Gericke
November 28th, 2011
- Occupy Thanksgiving: A Message of Hope, Redemption, and Dada
November 23rd, 2011
- Occupy Wall Street Removed from Zuccotti Park by NYPD (11/15/2011)
November 16th, 2011
- Mike Riggs Discusses Local Governments vs. the Occupy Movements on the Alyona Show
November 2nd, 2011
- Occupy Wall Street Protester: "I got some money and I should be taxed more."
October 20th, 2011
- What We Saw at the Occupy Wall Street Protest
October 7th, 2011
- The Top Threats to Civil Liberties After 9/11
September 12th, 2011
- What We Saw at the 2011 Seattle Hempfest
September 2nd, 2011
- PBS Travel Guru Rick Steves: Smoking Pot is "My Civil Liberty"
August 31st, 2011
- Fighting Youth Discrimination
August 12th, 2011
- You're Killing Me! Was a police-related jailhouse death an accident or a homicide?
August 11th, 2011
- Ranking Freedom in the 50 States
June 20th, 2011
- The Government's War on Cameras
May 26th, 2011
- Remy: Do The TSA Pokey Pokey
May 20th, 2011
- Why is the CDC Being Anti-Science on State Liquor Privatization? (5/14)
- 40th Anniversary of the Rockefeller Drug Laws: Time to Re-think Sentencing Policy (5/8)
- Florida's Misstep on Capital Punishment (4/30)
- State Liquor Privatization Update (4/22)
- Obama’s Cigarette Tax Will Hurt the Poor While Enriching Politicians’ Friends (4/12)
Experts: Individual Freedom
- Brian Doherty
- Nick Gillespie
Editor in Chief, Reason.com and Reason TV
- Katherine Mangu-Ward
Managing Editor, Reason
- Jacob Sullum
- Adam Summers
Senior Policy Analyst
- Jesse Walker
RSS Feeds: Individual Freedom
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.