Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
How crony capitalism undermines economic growth and innovationJuly 12, 2012
The problem of crony capitalism comes in a wide variety of policies that benefit specific individuals, firms and industries at the expense of everyone else. From occupational licensing laws to corporate tax breaks, and from federal flood insurance to ethanol mandates, capital is being misallocated due to state and federal policies. As a result, innovation, economic growth and employment are being undermined.
After a “60 Minutes” report brought to the attention of the American public that Congress was capitalizing on non-public information, lawmakers quickly collaborated with one another and proposed two bills banning insider trading by members of Congress and their staff. This bill reeks of desperation.
Chuck Plunkett of The Denver Post recently broke a story entitled “Spike in City Costs Found in Denver”, which details rising costs and mismanagement by the city’s Public Works Department.
Today, states face structural deficits created by overspending. Most of the legislative "fixes" over the past few years for state budget gaps have merely postponed or obscured the problems rather than addressing them directly. The State Budget Reform Toolkit—a joint project of the American Legislative Exchange Council, Reason Foundation, Americans for Tax Reform, The Mercatus Center at George Mason University, Washington Policy Center, Evergreen Freedom Foundation and State Budget Solutions—offers a practical set of budget and procurement best practices to guide state policymakers as they work to solve the current budget shortfalls, assisting legislators in prioritizing and more efficiently delivering core government services through advancing Jeffersonian principles of free markets, limited government, federalism, and individual liberty.
On the floor of the Senate on Tuesday, Sen. McCain, as he has many times in similar situations in the past, detailed some of the nearly 6,500 earmarks totaling approximately $8.3 billion contained in the omnibus appropriations bill currently being considered by Congress.
It's time to reform Congress.December 1, 2010
I join with all Americans who dream of a day when Washington is broken enough to see a Congress rigged to prevent any more "progress." But the trouble with lame-duck sessions happens to be the opposite. It is one thing to be abused by democracy and quite another to be abused by a bunch of rejected, disgruntled and disconnected politicians.
View Resources by Type
- Julian Morris Discusses European Bailout Fever on Fox Business
July 24th, 2012
- Public-Private Partnerships in Puerto Rico
July 9th, 2012
- James V. DeLong on Ending "Big SIS" (The Special Interest State)
July 3rd, 2012
- Adam Summers Talks Food Stamp Ads on Pajamas Media
July 2nd, 2012
- Washington's Parasitic Economy with The Weekly Standard's Andrew Ferguson
June 22nd, 2012
- Obesity in America: To Win, We Have to Lose Government
June 6th, 2012
- Matt Welch Discusses Another European Bank Bailout on Fox Business
May 30th, 2012
- Tim Cavanaugh Talks California Budget Mess on Fox 11
May 15th, 2012
- Anthony Randazzo Discusses France and Greece Austerity with Alyona
May 10th, 2012
- Mike Riggs Discusses the Reversing Trends of Immigration and Austerity w/ Thom Hartmann
April 27th, 2012
- Nick Gillespie on California's Unlearned Budget Lesson, the GSA & the Secret Service Scandals
April 20th, 2012
- Matt Welch Discusses the GSA Scandal & the Widespread Abuse of Taxpayer Money on Fox Business
April 17th, 2012
- D.C. Escalator Nightmare
April 12th, 2012
- Why Democrat vs. Republican is the Wrong Way to Look at the 2012 Election: Nick Gillespie and Matt Welch at Reason Weekend
April 12th, 2012
- Lisa Snell Discusses the Failure of the Eduational Program "Head Start" with John Stossel
April 10th, 2012
- Peter Schiff - The Fed Unspun: The Other Side of the Story
April 4th, 2012
- Student Loans Burdening Seniors and Preschoolers?! Lisa Snell Discusses the Education Monopoly on Fox Business
April 4th, 2012
- The Truth about Public Servants: Adrian Moore at Reason Weekend 2012
March 31st, 2012
- Adrian Moore Discusses California's Raising Tuition Rates on Fox Business
March 16th, 2012
- Remy: Cough Drops-The Mandate (featuring Sandra Fluke)
March 9th, 2012
- Governor Luis Fortuno on How Puerto Rico Avoided Becoming "America's Greece"
March 8th, 2012
- Why is the Economy Growing So Slowly?
February 28th, 2012
- FDR, The New Deal and The Expansion of Federal Power with Authors Burton and Anita Folsom
February 3rd, 2012
- Anthony Randazzo Talks Insider Trading Laws and Bernanke's "Do No Harm" on Freedom Watch
February 3rd, 2012
- Why Geezers Are Occupy Wall Street's True Enemies
January 30th, 2012
Experts: Earmarks and Transparency
- Carl DeMaio
Chairman of Reason's California Reform Agenda
- Nick Gillespie
Editor in Chief, Reason.com and Reason TV
- Leonard Gilroy
Director of Government Reform
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Julian Morris
Vice President, Research
- Anthony Randazzo
Director of Economic Research
- Adam Summers
Senior Policy Analyst
RSS Feeds: Earmarks and Transparency
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.