Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
The rollout of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013 continues today with the release of the Local Government Privatization section, which which provides an overview of the latest on privatization and public-private partnerships in local government.
Subsection of Annual Privatization Report 2013: Local Government PrivatizationMay 6, 2013
This subsection of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013: Local Government Privatization reviews solid waste collection privatization and public-private partnerships.
The public works director in Norwalk, Connecticut is making a case for privatization of waste collection, estimating savings of over $1.2 million in the first two years.
On the front page of today’s Daily Camera is a story about how the Boulder, Colorado City Council is weighing banning or taxing plastic and paper bags. Moves like this appeal to policymakers during economic downturns because it’s easier to kick the can down the road than make difficult budget decisions.
California lawmakers are considering a bill that would ban polystyrene containers used by food vendors to serve takeout meals by 2016. The bill, Senate Bill 568, is cruising through the legislature and appears likely to become law this fall. According to the The Sacramento Bee, more than 50 cities and counties in the Golden State already have similar laws in place, but if SB 568 passes it would be the first statewide ban of polystyrene in the U.S.
Local Government Privatization Chapter of Annual Privatization Report 2010February 23, 2011
- Privatization of municipal parking assets,
- Georgia's evolving contract cities,
- Zoo privatization in Dallas and Tulsa,
- Privatization of public libraries in California,
- Market-based land development in Houston,
- Updates on privatization in public safety, solid waste/recycling and animal shelter operation,
- Privatization updates from Chicago, San Diego and Milwaukee County and more.
View Resources by Type
- How Free Markets Will Beat Climate Change: Q&A with UCLA's Matthew Kahn
July 5th, 2012
- "The Skeptical Environmentalist": A Conversation with John Tierney and Bjorn Lomborg
June 19th, 2012
- Zoning vs. Eminent Domain: How Ventura County Shut Down The Pine Mountain Inn
May 30th, 2012
- Robert Zubrin: Radical Environmentalists and Other Merchants of Despair
May 24th, 2012
- Matt Ridley on Ideas having Sex, Free Trade, & Apocalyptic Science w/ Reason's Kennedy
April 16th, 2012
- Why The Future Is Better Than You Think
March 15th, 2012
- Sackett v. EPA: How One Couple's Battle Against the Feds Might Protect Your Land
March 8th, 2012
- The Great Gibson Guitar Raid: Months Later, Still No Charges Filed
February 23rd, 2012
- Damon Root Talks EPA's Restriction of Couple Building on Own Land on Freedom Watch
January 6th, 2012
- ManBearPig, Climategate and Watermelons: A conversation with author James Delingpole
September 26th, 2011
- Matt Welch Talks About Subsidized Homeowner Insurance on Freedom Watch
August 31st, 2011
- The Truth About Fracking
June 27th, 2011
- Governments vs. Markets: Julian Morris on Environmental Protection
May 10th, 2011
- The Top Five Environmental Disasters that Didn't Happen
April 20th, 2011
- The Green Regulation Machine: Saving the Planet or Killing Jobs?
March 31st, 2011
- Veronique de Rugy Discusses The Truth About Nuclear Power on Bloomberg
March 25th, 2011
- Tilting at Wind Turbines: Should the Government Subsidize Renewable Energy?
March 10th, 2011
- Delta Smelt and Undocumented Farm Workers: How Federal Policy Is Failing California's Central Valley
January 12th, 2011
- Great Moments in Unintended Consequences
December 8th, 2010
- Skeptic Michael Shermer on Atheism, Happiness, and the Free Market
December 7th, 2010
- Kurt Loder Discusses Congressional Gridlock and Censure on CNN's Parker Spitzer
December 6th, 2010
- Michael Moynihan Joins Stossel to Discuss the Media's Favorite Scare Stories
November 2nd, 2010
- Nick Gillespie on FOX News' Red Eye discussing 10:10, Rick Sanchez, and Violence Motivated by Internet Comments
October 10th, 2010
- Reason Weekend 2010: Robert Poole and Adrian Moore on High-Speed Rail Boondoggles
June 28th, 2010
- 3 Reasons Why Obama Should Kick His Own Ass
June 10th, 2010
Experts: Recycling and Waste
- Ronald Bailey
- Shikha Dalmia
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
RSS Feeds: Recycling and Waste
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.