Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Latest green energy boondoggle shows why the government shouldn't be picking winnersSeptember 10, 2012
Last year BrightSource Energy received a $1.6 billion taxpayer-backed loan guarantee. It's the same type of loan that failed solar panel company Solyndra received but couldn’t pay back, costing taxpayers over $500 million.
BrightSource’s half-completed Ivanpah power station in Eastern Mohave aims to harness the sun’s rays to generate carbon free electricity and “green” jobs and has been touted by some as an exemplary environmental project. But when contractors discovered more desert tortoises than expected, the project earned the ire of environmentalists – and resulted in an expensive translocation program for the tortoises.
The desert tortoise is a remarkable creature. For thousands of years it has lived in the mostly-inhospitable environment of the Sonoran and Mojave deserts, eating the sparse grasses, herbs, shrubs, and early cacti, and escaping the searing 140 degree heat of the day by burrowing underground. But a combination of expanding human habitation, vandalism and capture has contributed to a rapid decline in tortoise numbers since the 1980s. Current estimates put the population at 100,000, making it a “threatened” species according to the Environmental Protection Agency’s criteria.
How much would you be willing to pay to save a single desert tortoise? $1? $10? $100? How about $108,910?
Policy Brief 64June 1, 2007
The recovery of the bald eagle in the lower 48 states is a huge conservation success. But the lion's share of credit for the eagle's recovery should go to the 1972 ban of the pesticide DDT, not the Endangered Species Act, according to a new set of policy briefs by the Reason Foundation.
The Reason Foundation reports also suggest the Endangered Species Act often does more harm than good by pitting landowners against the very animals it is trying to save.
View Resources by Type
- How Free Markets Will Beat Climate Change: Q&A with UCLA's Matthew Kahn
July 5th, 2012
- "The Skeptical Environmentalist": A Conversation with John Tierney and Bjorn Lomborg
June 19th, 2012
- Zoning vs. Eminent Domain: How Ventura County Shut Down The Pine Mountain Inn
May 30th, 2012
- Robert Zubrin: Radical Environmentalists and Other Merchants of Despair
May 24th, 2012
- Matt Ridley on Ideas having Sex, Free Trade, & Apocalyptic Science w/ Reason's Kennedy
April 16th, 2012
- Why The Future Is Better Than You Think
March 15th, 2012
- Sackett v. EPA: How One Couple's Battle Against the Feds Might Protect Your Land
March 8th, 2012
- The Great Gibson Guitar Raid: Months Later, Still No Charges Filed
February 23rd, 2012
- Damon Root Talks EPA's Restriction of Couple Building on Own Land on Freedom Watch
January 6th, 2012
- ManBearPig, Climategate and Watermelons: A conversation with author James Delingpole
September 26th, 2011
- Matt Welch Talks About Subsidized Homeowner Insurance on Freedom Watch
August 31st, 2011
- The Truth About Fracking
June 27th, 2011
- Governments vs. Markets: Julian Morris on Environmental Protection
May 10th, 2011
- The Top Five Environmental Disasters that Didn't Happen
April 20th, 2011
- The Green Regulation Machine: Saving the Planet or Killing Jobs?
March 31st, 2011
- Veronique de Rugy Discusses The Truth About Nuclear Power on Bloomberg
March 25th, 2011
- Tilting at Wind Turbines: Should the Government Subsidize Renewable Energy?
March 10th, 2011
- Delta Smelt and Undocumented Farm Workers: How Federal Policy Is Failing California's Central Valley
January 12th, 2011
- Great Moments in Unintended Consequences
December 8th, 2010
- Skeptic Michael Shermer on Atheism, Happiness, and the Free Market
December 7th, 2010
- Kurt Loder Discusses Congressional Gridlock and Censure on CNN's Parker Spitzer
December 6th, 2010
- Michael Moynihan Joins Stossel to Discuss the Media's Favorite Scare Stories
November 2nd, 2010
- Nick Gillespie on FOX News' Red Eye discussing 10:10, Rick Sanchez, and Violence Motivated by Internet Comments
October 10th, 2010
- Reason Weekend 2010: Robert Poole and Adrian Moore on High-Speed Rail Boondoggles
June 28th, 2010
- 3 Reasons Why Obama Should Kick His Own Ass
June 10th, 2010
Experts: Endangered Species
- Ronald Bailey
- Shikha Dalmia
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
RSS Feeds: Endangered Species
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.