Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
A Primer on Recent Developments in State and Federal School Voucher LitigationJune 4, 2013
In May, the Louisiana Supreme Court ruled 6–1, in Louisiana Federation of Teachers v. Louisiana, that a statewide school voucher plan was unconstitutional. The opinion offers a fascinating glimpse into the developing field of non-religious state challenges to school voucher programs. The moral is that, while vouchers are on solid legal ground at the federal level, they can face barriers based on language in state constitutions, sometimes because of the inclusion of religious schools but sometimes for reasons entirely unrelated to religion.
Private trash collection would help Fresno's long-term financial healthMay 31, 2013
Next month’s special election on contracting out Fresno’s residential trash collection to help balance the city’s budget will hopefully end the long-running battle over something that shouldn’t have been controversial in the first place. In California, cities like Riverside, Oakland and Torrance already use private trash collectors. It’s a service that is regularly privatized across the country.
Like their peers in many municipalities across the country, Fresno policymakers are currently considering what role privatization should play in addressing their current and future fiscal challenges. However, privatization is a complex subject and takes many forms, so it is helpful to have an overview of the subject in deciding how to use privatization moving forward.
Reason Foundation's 22nd annual analysis of privatization and outsourcingAugust 1, 2008
Privatization remains a key policy focus as public officials grapple with deteriorating fiscal conditions, according to Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2008. With as many as 23 states potentially facing budget deficits in fiscal 2009, state governments are increasingly looking for ways to cut costs without cutting services. Enter the private sector.
View Resources by Type
- Peter Orszag: Privatize the Post Office
July 30th, 2012
- Public-Private Partnerships in Puerto Rico
July 9th, 2012
- Can Bipartisanship Actually Do Something Good, Like Smack Down Teachers' Unions?
June 18th, 2012
- Space X Success!: Dragon Hooks Up With International Space Station
May 25th, 2012
- Morning SpaceX Launch Aborted Due to Engine Problems
May 19th, 2012
- 4 Industries Getting Rich Off the Drug War
April 22nd, 2012
- Puerto Rico's Infrastructure Reniassance - David Alvarez on Public-Private Investment
April 16th, 2012
- We Know You Have a Choice of Gropers, and We Appreciate Your Business
March 19th, 2012
- How Budget Cutbacks Are Helping California Parks
March 16th, 2012
- Blast Off Into Space with Reason Magazine's Matt Welch
January 17th, 2012
- Reason-Rupe Poll: Americans Like Their Banks Better Than The Gov't.
December 21st, 2011
- Why Cops Cost So Much: Overtime for Weekend Events is Part of the Job!
December 5th, 2011
- Private Park Parts
September 27th, 2011
- How School Choice & Privatization Can Help Fix America: Lisa Snell & Harris Kenny at FreedomFest
September 27th, 2011
- Lisa Snell and Harris Kenny Present on the State of School Choice and Privitization
September 16th, 2011
- FDR's Ghost Preventing Us From Going Postal
September 15th, 2011
- Americans Have Mixed Feelings About the TSA
September 1st, 2011
- How Does a Wine Monopoly Lose Money?
August 30th, 2011
- Jerry Brown Vetoes California Budget, Cavanaugh on 10 O'Clock News Again Tonight
June 16th, 2011
- Don't Close State Parks, Lease Them
May 24th, 2011
- If You Love Big Bird, Set Him Free
April 27th, 2011
- Truth-Out Makes Case for Garden State Privatization
March 20th, 2011
- A New Twist on "Going Postal"
February 14th, 2011
- Progressives for State-Sanctioned Corporate Monopoly
November 9th, 2010
- It Can Happen Here
October 12th, 2010
- Implications of the Louisiana Supreme Court Voucher Ruling (6/4)
- From Oakland to Chicago to Jacksonville, Mayors Are Using Privatization (5/31)
- New at Reason: Savings for Fresno—The Role of Privatization (5/30)
- Savings for Fresno: The Role of Privatization (5/29)
- Are Federal Contractors Immune from Tort Suits Just Because the Government Is? (5/9)
Experts: Local Government
- Katie Furtick
- Leonard Gilroy
Director of Government Reform
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Robert Poole
Searle Freedom Trust Transportation Fellow and Director of Transportation Policy
- Anthony Randazzo
Director of Economic Research
- Adam Summers
Senior Policy Analyst
RSS Feeds: Local Government
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.