Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Government-sponsored enterprises dealt with risk and profit differentlySeptember 18, 2008
The re-nationalization of mortgage insurers Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac presents a serious challenge to national housing policy. But it is important to note that the failure of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is not an example of privatization gone amok; it is an example of what happens when privatization doesn't happen in the first place.
Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report says public-private partnership infrastructure projects in various stages of development are worth $104 billionAugust 7, 2008
Competitive sourcing allows the private sector to compete for jobs and contracts that are currently performed by the government. Federal employees actually won 83 percent of the job competitions from fiscal 2003 through fiscal 2007. But taxpayers are the real winners: the Annual Privatization Report shows taxpayers save $25,000 for every job that is put up for competition because even when the government keeps the job it significantly improves efficiency and reduces costs.
While PART isn't perfect, it's hard to argue with the fact that it's been an important step forward. The next administration would be well advised to use PART as a central building block of its performance management efforts.
Government at all levels needs to be a better steward of the land it owns. With millions of acres in its portfolio, the government needs to identify what it owns, determine whether government or private ownership is the best and highest use for the land, and streamline the efficient transfer of those lands that can be better used in the private sector so they generate, not consume, tax dollars.
View Resources by Type
- Peter Orszag: Privatize the Post Office
July 30th, 2012
- Public-Private Partnerships in Puerto Rico
July 9th, 2012
- Can Bipartisanship Actually Do Something Good, Like Smack Down Teachers' Unions?
June 18th, 2012
- Space X Success!: Dragon Hooks Up With International Space Station
May 25th, 2012
- Morning SpaceX Launch Aborted Due to Engine Problems
May 19th, 2012
- 4 Industries Getting Rich Off the Drug War
April 22nd, 2012
- Puerto Rico's Infrastructure Reniassance - David Alvarez on Public-Private Investment
April 16th, 2012
- We Know You Have a Choice of Gropers, and We Appreciate Your Business
March 19th, 2012
- How Budget Cutbacks Are Helping California Parks
March 16th, 2012
- Blast Off Into Space with Reason Magazine's Matt Welch
January 17th, 2012
- Reason-Rupe Poll: Americans Like Their Banks Better Than The Gov't.
December 21st, 2011
- Why Cops Cost So Much: Overtime for Weekend Events is Part of the Job!
December 5th, 2011
- Private Park Parts
September 27th, 2011
- How School Choice & Privatization Can Help Fix America: Lisa Snell & Harris Kenny at FreedomFest
September 27th, 2011
- Lisa Snell and Harris Kenny Present on the State of School Choice and Privitization
September 16th, 2011
- FDR's Ghost Preventing Us From Going Postal
September 15th, 2011
- Americans Have Mixed Feelings About the TSA
September 1st, 2011
- How Does a Wine Monopoly Lose Money?
August 30th, 2011
- Jerry Brown Vetoes California Budget, Cavanaugh on 10 O'Clock News Again Tonight
June 16th, 2011
- Don't Close State Parks, Lease Them
May 24th, 2011
- If You Love Big Bird, Set Him Free
April 27th, 2011
- Truth-Out Makes Case for Garden State Privatization
March 20th, 2011
- A New Twist on "Going Postal"
February 14th, 2011
- Progressives for State-Sanctioned Corporate Monopoly
November 9th, 2010
- It Can Happen Here
October 12th, 2010
- Are Federal Contractors Immune from Tort Suits Just Because the Government Is? (5/9)
- Developments in Criminal Justice and Corrections (5/6)
- 2012 Corrections Privatization Overview (5/6)
- Recent Developments in the Federal Civil-Rights Liability of Federal Private Prisons (5/6)
- Like Obama said, Privatize the TVA! (4/29)
Experts: Federal Government
- Katie Furtick
- Leonard Gilroy
Director of Government Reform
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Robert Poole
Searle Freedom Trust Transportation Fellow and Director of Transportation Policy
- Anthony Randazzo
Director of Economic Research
- Adam Summers
Senior Policy Analyst
RSS Feeds: Federal Government
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.