Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Government-sponsored enterprises dealt with risk and profit differentlySeptember 18, 2008
The re-nationalization of mortgage insurers Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac presents a serious challenge to national housing policy. But it is important to note that the failure of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is not an example of privatization gone amok; it is an example of what happens when privatization doesn't happen in the first place.
Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report says public-private partnership infrastructure projects in various stages of development are worth $104 billionAugust 7, 2008
Competitive sourcing allows the private sector to compete for jobs and contracts that are currently performed by the government. Federal employees actually won 83 percent of the job competitions from fiscal 2003 through fiscal 2007. But taxpayers are the real winners: the Annual Privatization Report shows taxpayers save $25,000 for every job that is put up for competition because even when the government keeps the job it significantly improves efficiency and reduces costs.
While PART isn't perfect, it's hard to argue with the fact that it's been an important step forward. The next administration would be well advised to use PART as a central building block of its performance management efforts.
Government at all levels needs to be a better steward of the land it owns. With millions of acres in its portfolio, the government needs to identify what it owns, determine whether government or private ownership is the best and highest use for the land, and streamline the efficient transfer of those lands that can be better used in the private sector so they generate, not consume, tax dollars.
View Resources by Type
- 'Socialist' Swedes Take to Private Health Insurance
January 22nd, 2014
- Chris Christie Should Sell the George Washington Bridge
January 13th, 2014
- Teachers Tested
December 31st, 2013
- Oakland Neighborhoods Crowd-Fund Private Police
November 15th, 2013
- Privatize Everything
November 6th, 2013
- It's Time To Let Somebody Competent Run National Parks (Hint: Private Enterprise)
October 16th, 2013
- The Upside of the Government Shutdown
October 7th, 2013
- More Government Shutdown, Please
October 1st, 2013
- Royal Mail Revolution
September 30th, 2013
- Oakland, Baltimore Said to Be Seeking Private Security Solutions
August 20th, 2013
- Matt Welch Advocates Postal Privatization on The Kudlow Report
July 16th, 2013
- Matt Welch Discusses the UK Privatizing the Postal Service & What America Could Learn
July 16th, 2013
- Watch Matt Welch Talk Post Office Privatization on CNBC's The Kudlow Report Tonight at 7:40 ET!
July 15th, 2013
- Britain To Privatize Royal Mail
July 11th, 2013
- Matthew Feeney Talks Privatization and the NSA With Thom Hartmann
June 12th, 2013
- Looking to Buy a Giraffe? Detroit Can Hook You Up.
June 3rd, 2013
- How Thatcher Defeated Mitterrand
May 8th, 2013
- Congressman: "Imagine a World Without Balloons"
May 1st, 2013
- Instapundit: Sequester Shows Blunt Cuts Work; Plus: Privatize Air Traffic Control
April 29th, 2013
- Liquor Store Privatization Is Around the Corner in Pennsylvania and Tennessee
April 22nd, 2013
- America Doesn't Need a Government-Run Postal Service
April 17th, 2013
- How Thatcher Liberated Western Europe
April 9th, 2013
- Margaret Thatcher: How I Privatised Britain and Rebooted the "Enterprise Society"
April 8th, 2013
- How To Save America's Zoos: Privatize Them
March 12th, 2013
- 26 Percent Say Privatizing USPS Would Improve Quality and Speed of Service
March 5th, 2013
- The Highest Paid Federal Employee Is Not the President (1/9)
- Privatization & Government Reform Newsletter #2 (Dec 2013 edition) (12/3)
- Privatization & Government Reform Newsletter #2 (12/3)
- Responding to Critiques of Correctional Privatization (12/3)
- Sasha Volokh on Philosophical Objections to Prison Privatization in Israel (11/27)
Experts: Federal Government
- Katie Furtick
- Leonard Gilroy
Director of Government Reform
- Michael LaFaive
Director, Morey Fiscal Policy Initiative, Mackinac Center for Public Policy
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Robert Poole
Searle Freedom Trust Transportation Fellow and Director of Transportation Policy
- Anthony Randazzo
Director of Economic Research
- Adam Summers
Senior Policy Analyst
RSS Feeds: Federal Government
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.