Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Reason's Len Gilroy Talks TVA Privatization, Annual Privatization Report on Heartland Institute PodcastMay 23, 2013, 3:54pm
Earlier this week, I had the pleasure of sitting down with the Heartland Institute's Steve Stanek for an episode of their Heartland Daily Podcast, where we discussed President Obama's recent budget proposal to study a potential privatization of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA).
Many thanks to the Washington Policy Center for publishing my legislative memo today on how to avoid the closure of dozens of Washington State parks, as Gov. Inslee has proposed if his tax increase package fails to advance
Antiquated, top-down management model is unsustainable; private sector can play major roleMay 17, 2013
The century-old, top-down model of state parks operated and managed by state parks agencies is not sustainable and needs to be replaced by an approach in which the parks agency sets the mission for the parks system and then serves as a coordinator to arrange the right blend of public and private sector operators on a park-by-park basis.
Policymakers and citizens in the 17 "control" states like Pennsylvania should take the CDC's anti-privatization stance with a major grain of salt, as it rests on a dubious scientific foundation.
Louisiana Republicans Introduce Bills to Replicate Massachusetts's Pro-Union, Anti-Privatization “Pacheco Law”May 9, 2013, 7:36pm
My latest column offers a critique of two bills introduced in the Louisiana legislature that are modeled after the Massachusetts "Pacheco Law," which is widely regarded as the most onerous and stringent anti-privatization law in the country.
Louisiana Republicans Introduce Bills to Replicate Massachusetts's Pro-Union, Anti-Privatization “Pacheco Law”
Bills would effectively shut down use of privatization, competitive contracting to lower costs of governmentMay 9, 2013
Two proposed bills introduced in the Louisiana legislature raise serious barriers to fiscal responsibility, as the bills would effectively shut down the ability of the current and future governors to use the proven tool of competitive contracting to lower the costs of state government. Given the similarity to a 1993 law enacted in Massachusetts at the behest of government employee unions—and which has stymied privatization efforts in that state for two decades since—a more appropriate title for the proposed Louisiana bills would be the "Louisiana Government Employee Protection Act."
View Resources by Type
- Peter Orszag: Privatize the Post Office
July 30th, 2012
- Public-Private Partnerships in Puerto Rico
July 9th, 2012
- Can Bipartisanship Actually Do Something Good, Like Smack Down Teachers' Unions?
June 18th, 2012
- Space X Success!: Dragon Hooks Up With International Space Station
May 25th, 2012
- Morning SpaceX Launch Aborted Due to Engine Problems
May 19th, 2012
- 4 Industries Getting Rich Off the Drug War
April 22nd, 2012
- Puerto Rico's Infrastructure Reniassance - David Alvarez on Public-Private Investment
April 16th, 2012
- We Know You Have a Choice of Gropers, and We Appreciate Your Business
March 19th, 2012
- How Budget Cutbacks Are Helping California Parks
March 16th, 2012
- Blast Off Into Space with Reason Magazine's Matt Welch
January 17th, 2012
- Reason-Rupe Poll: Americans Like Their Banks Better Than The Gov't.
December 21st, 2011
- Why Cops Cost So Much: Overtime for Weekend Events is Part of the Job!
December 5th, 2011
- Private Park Parts
September 27th, 2011
- How School Choice & Privatization Can Help Fix America: Lisa Snell & Harris Kenny at FreedomFest
September 27th, 2011
- Lisa Snell and Harris Kenny Present on the State of School Choice and Privitization
September 16th, 2011
- FDR's Ghost Preventing Us From Going Postal
September 15th, 2011
- Americans Have Mixed Feelings About the TSA
September 1st, 2011
- How Does a Wine Monopoly Lose Money?
August 30th, 2011
- Jerry Brown Vetoes California Budget, Cavanaugh on 10 O'Clock News Again Tonight
June 16th, 2011
- Don't Close State Parks, Lease Them
May 24th, 2011
- If You Love Big Bird, Set Him Free
April 27th, 2011
- Truth-Out Makes Case for Garden State Privatization
March 20th, 2011
- A New Twist on "Going Postal"
February 14th, 2011
- Progressives for State-Sanctioned Corporate Monopoly
November 9th, 2010
- It Can Happen Here
October 12th, 2010
- Reason's Len Gilroy Talks TVA Privatization, Annual Privatization Report on Heartland Institute Podcast (5/23)
- How to Avoid Closing Washington State Parks (5/17)
- Rethinking Washington State Parks: How to Avoid Governor Inslee’s Plan to Close 60 State Parks (5/17)
- Why is the CDC Being Anti-Science on State Liquor Privatization? (5/14)
- Louisiana Republicans Introduce Bills to Replicate Massachusetts's Pro-Union, Anti-Privatization “Pacheco Law” (5/9)
- Katie Furtick
- Leonard Gilroy
Director of Government Reform
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Robert Poole
Searle Freedom Trust Transportation Fellow and Director of Transportation Policy
- Anthony Randazzo
Director of Economic Research
- Adam Summers
Senior Policy Analyst
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.