Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
How crony capitalism undermines economic growth and innovationJuly 12, 2012
The problem of crony capitalism comes in a wide variety of policies that benefit specific individuals, firms and industries at the expense of everyone else. From occupational licensing laws to corporate tax breaks, and from federal flood insurance to ethanol mandates, capital is being misallocated due to state and federal policies. As a result, innovation, economic growth and employment are being undermined.
After a “60 Minutes” report brought to the attention of the American public that Congress was capitalizing on non-public information, lawmakers quickly collaborated with one another and proposed two bills banning insider trading by members of Congress and their staff. This bill reeks of desperation.
Chuck Plunkett of The Denver Post recently broke a story entitled “Spike in City Costs Found in Denver”, which details rising costs and mismanagement by the city’s Public Works Department.
Today, states face structural deficits created by overspending. Most of the legislative "fixes" over the past few years for state budget gaps have merely postponed or obscured the problems rather than addressing them directly. The State Budget Reform Toolkit—a joint project of the American Legislative Exchange Council, Reason Foundation, Americans for Tax Reform, The Mercatus Center at George Mason University, Washington Policy Center, Evergreen Freedom Foundation and State Budget Solutions—offers a practical set of budget and procurement best practices to guide state policymakers as they work to solve the current budget shortfalls, assisting legislators in prioritizing and more efficiently delivering core government services through advancing Jeffersonian principles of free markets, limited government, federalism, and individual liberty.
On the floor of the Senate on Tuesday, Sen. McCain, as he has many times in similar situations in the past, detailed some of the nearly 6,500 earmarks totaling approximately $8.3 billion contained in the omnibus appropriations bill currently being considered by Congress.
It's time to reform Congress.December 1, 2010
I join with all Americans who dream of a day when Washington is broken enough to see a Congress rigged to prevent any more "progress." But the trouble with lame-duck sessions happens to be the opposite. It is one thing to be abused by democracy and quite another to be abused by a bunch of rejected, disgruntled and disconnected politicians.
View Resources by Type
- California’s Solution to Truancy ‘Crisis’: More Bureaucracy!
March 10th, 2014
- Government Spending Spree Drives Global Debt to $100 Trillion
March 10th, 2014
- Forget Budget Wish Lists. A Sluggish Economy Calls For Much Less Federal Spending.
March 5th, 2014
- Obama's Pricey Budget is Just a Big Government Political Pamphlet
March 4th, 2014
- Supposedly Fiscally Conservative Republicans Make Exceptions For Defense Spending
February 25th, 2014
- Feds Waste $100 Billion Per Year in Improper Payments! Will Grow with Obamacare, Medicaid Expansion!
February 24th, 2014
- Obama: The Time for Austerity is Over, the Time to Spend is Now!
February 21st, 2014
- Friday Funnies: Stuck Debt Ceiling
February 21st, 2014
- Time for a Guaranteed Income?
Veronique de Rugy
February 19th, 2014
- Clean Debt-Limit Increases are for Suckers or, Tomorrow We Scrimp But Tonight We Spend Like There's No Tomorrow!
February 15th, 2014
- Bureau of Indian Affairs Commonly Blows Money on Illegal Leases, Says Inspector General
February 13th, 2014
- It's Hayek's World, the U.S. Government Just Spends in It
February 10th, 2014
- Debt-Ceiling Update: GOP Wants to Reduce Future Spending Except When It Doesn't
February 7th, 2014
- Robert Gates Says UK Military Cuts Could Harm Its Ability To Be "Full Partner"
January 17th, 2014
- Could California’s Bullet Train Head Back to the Voters?
January 13th, 2014
- Feds Investigating Chris Christie for Spending Federal Post-Sandy Marketing Aid on Tourism Ad That Featured Him and His Family
January 13th, 2014
- Gov't Incapable of Scrounging $6 Billion in Offsets to Extend Unemployment Benefits
January 8th, 2014
- 3 Reasons 2014 Might Be the Most Libertarian Year Ever!
January 7th, 2014
- Biggest Defense Boondoggle Ever, F-35 Fighter Jet, Being Built With Illegal Chinese Parts!
January 3rd, 2014
- So How Is France’s De Blasio Doing, Anyway? (Hint: Like Merde)
January 2nd, 2014
- Senate Approves Budget Deal, Walking Back Previous Attempts to Reduce Spending
December 18th, 2013
- What Government’s Being Accused of Serial Patent Infringement and IP Theft?
December 17th, 2013
- White House Wants to Borrow As Much As Government Can Spend, Not Negotiating on Debt Ceiling
December 16th, 2013
- If Detroit Cares About Its Future - and Art - It Will Sell its Museum's Masterpieces
December 15th, 2013
- Bipartisan Bill Aims to Cut Official Portrait Spending
December 13th, 2013
Experts: Earmarks and Transparency
- Lance Christensen
Director, Pension Reform Project
- Nick Gillespie
Editor in Chief, Reason.com and Reason TV
- Leonard Gilroy
Director of Government Reform
- Michael LaFaive
Director, Morey Fiscal Policy Initiative, Mackinac Center for Public Policy
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Julian Morris
Vice President, Research
- Anthony Randazzo
Director of Economic Research
- Adam Summers
Senior Policy Analyst
RSS Feeds: Earmarks and Transparency
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.