Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Installing electric vehicle car-charging stations may sound like an investment in the future, but electric vehicles produce just as much Carbon Dioxide as traditional vehicles. Additionally such subsidies merely encourage the rich to purchase vehicles they can already afford. If consumers really wanted these vehicles, the government would not have to offer up to a $15,000 subsidy to get Georgia consumers to buy them.
Very high wind penetrations are not achievable in practice due to the increased need for power storage, the decrease in grid reliability, and the increased operating costsOctober 4, 2012
Very high wind penetrations are not achievable in practice due to the increased need for power storage, the decrease in grid reliability, and the increased operating costs. Given these constraints, this study concludes that a more practical upper limit for wind penetration is 10%. At 10% wind penetration, the CO2 emissions reduction due to wind is approximately 45g CO2 equivalent/kWh, or about 9% of total.
EPA boiler rules should reflect the real worldApril 10, 2012
Boiler MACT is an example of a regulation that could be amended in simple, appropriate ways to adhere to the spirit of President Obama’s Executive Order 13563. Instead of moving forward with the current proposed rule, EPA should address the issues raised in this brief, including by:
- Basing MACT floor policy decisions on the performance of actual existing boilers, not the performance of a hypothetical boiler that comprises restrictions for individual pollutants currently only achieved in isolation.
- Setting health-based standards per Section 112(d) (4) of the CAA for acid gases that are prevalent and have historically been regulated according to such standards.
- Only reclassifying fuels as “solid waste” (with all the associated additional burdens) if the EPA is able to prove that such a reclassification will result in substantial health benefits. Currently EPA is moving in the opposite direction, placing the burden of proof on industry to petition to remove substances that have historically been used as fuel.
Why the Environmental Protection Agency’s ozone plan will do more harm than goodMarch 14, 2012
Advocates for the EPA plan claim that ever lower ozone standards would have additional health benefits. If the impact of ozone were linear that would be true; but it is not: once ozone levels reach a certain level, the additional health benefits of further reductions are likely small to non-existent.
View Resources by Type
- Tonight on The Independents: The Road to Hell
July 25th, 2014
- Save the Lion-Hunting Cheerleader, Save the Lions!
July 2nd, 2014
- No More Plastic Bags at Los Angeles Corner Stores, Bodegas
July 1st, 2014
- Environmentalists Cheer California's Latest Plan to Sink Its Economy
May 30th, 2014
- Wind Power Debate Turns Conservatives Into Liberals
A. Barton Hinkle
May 19th, 2014
- Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
May 12th, 2014
- Brickbat: Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
May 12th, 2014
- The Dumbest Federal Policy You'll Read About Today
A. Barton Hinkle
April 16th, 2014
- How Human Beings Shaped "Wild" Forests
March 10th, 2014
- Supreme Court to Tackle EPA Regulation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions
February 20th, 2014
- Is Hawaii's Anti-GMO Movement Really Just Anti-Science?
January 29th, 2014
- Mayor Bloomberg Pushes for Ban on Styrofoam Cups
November 25th, 2013
- Vid: Ron Bailey on "The End of Doom"
November 5th, 2013
- Ron Bailey on "The End of Doom"
November 4th, 2013
- California Struggles to Solve Its Water Problem
September 27th, 2013
- Now It's Progressives Who Don't Believe in Public Firefighting, Because Global Warming
September 18th, 2013
- Fracking Boosts Household Incomes by $1,200, So Expect Even More Protests!
September 10th, 2013
- 45 Years, 45 Days: Love Canal, The Truth Seeps Out
July 26th, 2013
- Seven Surprising Truths about the World
July 15th, 2013
- How to Get Rich and Combat Global Warming
July 4th, 2013
- The Famous "McLibel" Leaflet Was Co-Authored by an Undercover Cop
June 21st, 2013
- Environmentalism, Innovation & Economics: Author Ramez Naam
June 18th, 2013
- Rand Paul Calls For Sustainable Government, Environment at Reagan Library Speech
June 1st, 2013
- No Fun at the Beach for You, Californians!
May 31st, 2013
- How Free Markets and Human Ingenuity Can Save the Planet
April 12th, 2013
Experts: Air Quality
- Ronald Bailey
- Shikha Dalmia
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Brian Seasholes
Director, Endangered Species Project
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.