Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
California needs a reasonable balance of cheap, safe oil pipelines and flexible oil trainsMay 12, 2014
Some politicians in California, and people like me who live near railroad tracks, are waking up to the fact that four times as much oil was shipped to California by train over the last year than the previous year. Most of it was heading to refineries here in Southern California. As the oil trains have increased, so have complaints and environmental concerns about them. Rather than responding to calls to restrict these trains and further raise our gasoline prices, however, state officials need to address the need for oil pipelines connecting California with the Midwest.
The Texas governor's energy pitch strikes all the wrong notes.October 25, 2011
The biggest problem with the energy plan that Rick Perry released recently is Rick Perry himself. Like a desperate used-car salesman, he is making such outlandish claims for it that his customers might walk out before taking a good look.
That, however, would be a pity, because the plan is actually better than any proposed by any president in recent memory.
View Resources by Type
- Kurdish Government Threatens to Sue Iraq Over Oil Exports—May Be Moving Forward on Independent State
July 3rd, 2014
- ISIS Fighters in Iraq Making It About Oil, Attack Oil Refinery, Gas Prices Already Up
June 18th, 2014
- Environmentalists Cheer California's Latest Plan to Sink Its Economy
May 30th, 2014
- Rep. Polis Drawing Attention for Anti-Fracking Push in Colorado
May 15th, 2014
- Obama Administration Will Continue Dragging Its Feet Through the Tar Sands, Delaying Keystone Pipeline Decision
April 18th, 2014
- Tonight on The Independents: Peter Suderman on April Fool’s Obamacare, Waterboarding Fail, #CancelColbert, the Fracking/Earthquakes Connection, Big Men Director Rachel Boynton, Gwyneth Paltrow’s Parenting, and Sexy Aftershow!
March 31st, 2014
- America on Way to Energy Independence Despite Fed Gov't, Obama Policies
November 18th, 2013
- Fossil Fuels Forever
November 4th, 2013
- Peak Oil Peters Out: Neo-Malthusian Cult Website The Oil Drum Shuts Down
July 12th, 2013
- The Coming Methane Hydrate Revolution?
April 29th, 2013
- EPA Nominee Gina McCarthy: Science Above Politics or Warrior Against Affordable Energy?
March 5th, 2013
- 3 Reasons to Build the Keystone XL Pipeline
February 17th, 2013
- 3 Reasons to Build the Keyston XL Pipeline
February 17th, 2013
- Can a Carbon Tax Solve Man-Made Global Warming?
January 16th, 2013
- Friday Funnies
October 19th, 2012
- On Oil and Gas Both Romney and Obama Were Economical with the Truth
October 17th, 2012
- Teen Entrepreneur Launches Mobile Shower Biz for Dakota Oil Workers, Isn't Shut Down
September 5th, 2012
- Mitt Romney Embraces Exhausted Idea: 'Energy Independence' by 2020
August 23rd, 2012
- Republicans Vitter, Murkowski Demand More Stimulus
May 16th, 2012
- "The Great Fallacy of Vertical Integration"
April 24th, 2012
- What's Up With Post-War Iraq?
April 5th, 2012
- Oil Sanctions and the Pretense of Knowledge
March 2nd, 2012
- Keystone XL is Dead! Long Live Keystone Light
January 24th, 2012
- Death and Tax Cuts; Slaughter in Syria, Russia Protests, Pujols West, and More: Reason Evening Links
December 9th, 2011
- The Miracle of Oil From Sand
October 19th, 2011
Experts: Oil and Gas
- Ronald Bailey
- Shikha Dalmia
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Julian Morris
Vice President, Research
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.