Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
The Texas governor's energy pitch strikes all the wrong notes.October 25, 2011
The biggest problem with the energy plan that Rick Perry released recently is Rick Perry himself. Like a desperate used-car salesman, he is making such outlandish claims for it that his customers might walk out before taking a good look.
That, however, would be a pity, because the plan is actually better than any proposed by any president in recent memory.
New efficiency standards for cars may cost livesAugust 11, 2011
President Obama has declared that auto companies' fleets must average 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025, almost double the current 27.5. Standing at his side when he made the announcement were executives from the Big Three automakers. They're happy to agree to stupid rules, since they are now dependent on government favors. Obama said that under his new rule, "everyone wins. Consumers pay less for fuel, the economy as a whole runs more efficiently." John Stossel begs to differ.
View Resources by Type
- Republicans Vitter, Murkowski Demand More Stimulus
May 16th, 2012
- "The Great Fallacy of Vertical Integration"
April 24th, 2012
- What's Up With Post-War Iraq?
April 5th, 2012
- Oil Sanctions and the Pretense of Knowledge
March 2nd, 2012
- Keystone XL is Dead! Long Live Keystone Light
January 24th, 2012
- Death and Tax Cuts; Slaughter in Syria, Russia Protests, Pujols West, and More: Reason Evening Links
December 9th, 2011
- The Miracle of Oil From Sand
October 19th, 2011
- Russia's Natural State of Corruption
September 27th, 2011
- Conflict Oil or Canadian Oil?
August 10th, 2011
- The Man-Made Miracle of Oil from Sand
August 9th, 2011
- It's Not the Oil, Stupid
June 21st, 2011
- The Future of American Energy Policy
A. Barton Hinkle
May 13th, 2011
- Nation of Gas Speculators Condemns Oil Speculators
May 5th, 2011
- Why Isn't Obama Celebrating High Oil Prices?
April 27th, 2011
- Whither Gasoline Prices?
April 26th, 2011
- DoJ Forms "Oil and Gas Price Fraud Working Group"
April 22nd, 2011
- The Case for Increasing Domestic Oil Production
March 30th, 2011
- Don't Nationalize BP
June 29th, 2010
- Liability vs. Regulation
June 4th, 2010
- Reason Morning Links: A Drilling Freeze, a Slush Fund, and a Rumor of War
June 4th, 2010
- Gulf Oil Crisis: Case for Government, or For Freer Markets?
June 3rd, 2010
- Days of Irritation
June 3rd, 2010
- From the Vault: Reason Hated BP, Back Before It Was Cool
June 1st, 2010
- The Making of an Oil Spill
May 28th, 2010
- Obama Is Not Beholden to Big Corporations. He Is Beholden to the Executives of Big Corporations.
May 24th, 2010
Experts: Oil and Gas
- Ronald Bailey
- Shikha Dalmia
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Julian Morris
Vice President, Research
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.