Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Ownership of TVA should be transferred to the states it servesApril 17, 2014
Kudos to the Obama Administration and its proposed fiscal year 2015 budget for continuing “to believe that reducing or eliminating the federal government’s role in programs such as TVA [the Tennessee Valley Authority], which have achieved their original objectives, can help mitigate risk to taxpayers.” The TVA remains a government-sponsored enterprise, despite being the largest power generator in the United States—hardly a core government function given the robust private marketplace in electricity.
California failing to learn from pastOctober 25, 2005
California has never experienced true energy deregulation. The "deregulation" implemented in 1996 left price controls in place and created "artificial" markets ripe for manipulation and mismatches between supply and demand. By setting price caps below market prices, California limited the profitability of the industry.
View Resources by Type
- Tax Carbon or Innovate to Save the Climate?
June 23rd, 2014
- Vice President’s Son Joins Board of Directors of Ukrainian Gas Company
May 13th, 2014
- Keystone XL Pipeline Likely Done for the Year
May 13th, 2014
- 61 Percent Favor Building Keystone Pipeline
April 18th, 2014
- 62 Percent Oppose Govt Subsidies to Oil but 58 Percent Favor Subsidies to Wind and Solar Companies
April 17th, 2014
- How to Become an Independent and Solve the Future of Energy Production!
April 15th, 2014
- Let’s Frack Our Way to a Freer World
March 4th, 2014
- America on Way to Energy Independence Despite Fed Gov't, Obama Policies
November 18th, 2013
- Climate Change "Alarmists" For Nuclear Power
November 5th, 2013
- Poll: Majority of Brits Want Rail, Energy Companies Nationalized
November 4th, 2013
- Fracking Boosts Household Incomes by $1,200, So Expect Even More Protests!
September 10th, 2013
- The Top 5 Lies About Fracking
July 5th, 2013
- Obama's Climate Five-Year Plan
June 28th, 2013
- Democrats Are Holding Energy—and Prosperity—Captive
May 9th, 2013
- Why We'll Never Run Out of Energy: Q&A with Science Writer Charles Mann
May 3rd, 2013
- How Free Markets and Human Ingenuity Can Save the Planet
April 12th, 2013
- Why Anti-Fracking Environmentalists Are Holding Back the U.S.
March 13th, 2013
- Want Cheaper Food? End the Ethanol Mandate
February 27th, 2013
- 3 Reasons to Build the Keystone XL Pipeline
February 17th, 2013
- 3 Reasons to Build the Keyston XL Pipeline
February 17th, 2013
- Fracking Amazing: US Carbon Emissions in 2012 Will be Lower than in 2007 Due to Fracking
January 7th, 2013
- Will Congress Let the Wind Power Tax Credit Die?
December 6th, 2012
- Blue Science and Red Science
November 22nd, 2012
- Natural Gas Industry Cozies Up to Washington
Veronique de Rugy
November 6th, 2012
- Friday Funnies
October 19th, 2012
- Obama on TVA: Time to Transfer to Help Mitigate Risk to Taxpayer (4/17)
- The Highest Paid Federal Employee Is Not the President (1/9)
- Obama and Reagan Agree: Divest the Tennessee Valley Authority (10/8)
- Cronyism Threatens California Condors (8/1)
- Reason's Len Gilroy Talks TVA Privatization, Annual Privatization Report on Heartland Institute Podcast (5/23)
- Ronald Bailey
- Shikha Dalmia
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Julian Morris
Vice President, Research
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.