Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Reason's Len Gilroy Talks TVA Privatization, Annual Privatization Report on Heartland Institute PodcastMay 23, 2013, 3:54pm
Earlier this week, I had the pleasure of sitting down with the Heartland Institute's Steve Stanek for an episode of their Heartland Daily Podcast, where we discussed President Obama's recent budget proposal to study a potential privatization of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA).
Very high wind penetrations are not achievable in practice due to the increased need for power storage, the decrease in grid reliability, and the increased operating costsOctober 4, 2012
Very high wind penetrations are not achievable in practice due to the increased need for power storage, the decrease in grid reliability, and the increased operating costs. Given these constraints, this study concludes that a more practical upper limit for wind penetration is 10%. At 10% wind penetration, the CO2 emissions reduction due to wind is approximately 45g CO2 equivalent/kWh, or about 9% of total.
Latest green energy boondoggle shows why the government shouldn't be picking winnersSeptember 10, 2012
Last year BrightSource Energy received a $1.6 billion taxpayer-backed loan guarantee. It's the same type of loan that failed solar panel company Solyndra received but couldn’t pay back, costing taxpayers over $500 million.
BrightSource’s half-completed Ivanpah power station in Eastern Mohave aims to harness the sun’s rays to generate carbon free electricity and “green” jobs and has been touted by some as an exemplary environmental project. But when contractors discovered more desert tortoises than expected, the project earned the ire of environmentalists – and resulted in an expensive translocation program for the tortoises.
The desert tortoise is a remarkable creature. For thousands of years it has lived in the mostly-inhospitable environment of the Sonoran and Mojave deserts, eating the sparse grasses, herbs, shrubs, and early cacti, and escaping the searing 140 degree heat of the day by burrowing underground. But a combination of expanding human habitation, vandalism and capture has contributed to a rapid decline in tortoise numbers since the 1980s. Current estimates put the population at 100,000, making it a “threatened” species according to the Environmental Protection Agency’s criteria.
How much would you be willing to pay to save a single desert tortoise? $1? $10? $100? How about $108,910?
View Resources by Type
- No Recipe for Resilience
July 14th, 2012
- HuffPo Blames Media for Failure of All New Solyndras
June 29th, 2012
- It's Not Too Late to Save Your Stupid Old Light Bulbs
June 6th, 2012
- Republicans Vitter, Murkowski Demand More Stimulus
May 16th, 2012
- Federal and State Money Not Enough for Your Renewable Energy Project? Take It From Locals!
May 3rd, 2012
- What's Up With Post-War Iraq?
April 5th, 2012
- Solyndra Scandal Pronounced Dead (Again)
March 29th, 2012
- Coal Slotted to Die in America Tomorrow: RIP
March 26th, 2012
- When Wall Street Makes Crap Loans, It's a Crisis; When DOE's Steven Chu Does It, It's Green Energy.
March 15th, 2012
- Newt's Despicable Gasoline Price Promise
March 13th, 2012
- Global Warming's Short-People Virtuous Cycle
March 12th, 2012
- Feds Pay $10 Million for $50 Light Bulb
March 9th, 2012
- Is Abound Solar the Next Solyndra? Panel Maker Got $400M DOE Loan, Does Massive Layoffs
March 6th, 2012
- Why Solyndra Hasn't Killed Government's Appetite for Green Pork: Cavanaugh on Russia Today
February 21st, 2012
- Why Did the Times Switch This Solyndra-Program Headline?
February 10th, 2012
- Take a Look at Frontline's Nuclear Afterschocks
February 10th, 2012
- Synfuel Company With $25 Million Green Loan Calls Emergency Conference
February 8th, 2012
- Ener1 Goes Bankrupt, Becomes Second or Third Next Solyndra
January 26th, 2012
- Keystone XL is Dead! Long Live Keystone Light
January 24th, 2012
- Solyndra Destroys Brand-New Equipment
January 20th, 2012
- Factchecking Obama's Green Jobs Ad
January 19th, 2012
- Where Do the Republican Candidates Stand on Science?
January 18th, 2012
- Bankrupt Solyndra: Let Us Give Bonuses
January 12th, 2012
- Obama Power Grab; N.Y. Times Green Jobs Lunacy; High Speed Fail, and More: PM Links
January 4th, 2012
- Why Would Consumers Object to a Policy That Forces Them to Buy Expensive Products They Do Not Want?
December 19th, 2011
- Reason's Len Gilroy Talks TVA Privatization, Annual Privatization Report on Heartland Institute Podcast (5/23)
- Like Obama said, Privatize the TVA! (4/29)
- The Limits of Wind Power (10/4)
- Tortoises and BrightSource Are Costing Taxpayers Dearly (9/10)
- The Facts Behind EPA's Greenhouse Gas Regulations (4/3)
- Ronald Bailey
- Shikha Dalmia
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Julian Morris
Vice President, Research
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.