Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Several years ago, the Florida Department of Transportation wanted to increase freight movement in Florida. Juan Flores, Administrator, Freight, Logistics and Passenger Operations with the backing of Governor Rick Scott and FDOT Secretary Ananth Prasad created a multimodal freight office in order to better manage all freight modes. In this interview I discussed with Flores public-private partnerships in freight, the growth of goods movement and performance based planning for freight.
Subsection of Annual Privatization Report 2013: Federal Government PrivatizationApril 15, 2013
This subsection of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013: Federal Government Privatization details miscellaneous news and notes from the privatization of federal government services.
Annual Privatization Report examines privatization and public-private partnership trends at the federal levelApril 15, 2013
The federal section of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013 provides an overview of the latest on federal government privatization and public-private partnerships. Topics include:
2013 will be another busy year in transportation. Ports/waterways need a new policy direction; Amtrak needs to be reauthorized; and work will begin on a new surface transportation bill, which expires at the end of 2014.
Federal Government Privatization Chapter of Annual Privatization Report 2011May 1, 2012
This section of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2011 provides an overview of the latest federal insourcing, housing finance, private spaceflight and other news on privatization and public-private partnerships in the federal government. Topics include:
- The ongoing dispute over what constitutes “inherently governmental” functions continued in 2011, and new Obama administration regulations could undermine federal outsourcing policy standards dating back to 1955.
- Regulators implementing the Dodd-Frank Act are creating significant risk for both mortgage investors and securitizers and appear likely to undercut the private mortgage industry while benefitting government mortgage providers.
- In 2011, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) combined to purchase or guarantee 95 percent of all new mortgages in America with some mortgages worth as much as $729,750. Every one of these mortgages is backed by taxpayer money.
- Federal agencies, under the encouragement of President Obama, are expected to generate nearly $13 billion in cost savings from asset divestiture, $9.8 billion of which comes form the Department of Defense’s Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) efforts.
- The federal government owns approximately 1.2 million properties that cost $20 billion a year to maintain. Recent Congressional efforts to pass a Civil Property Realignment Act could save as much as $15 billion, according to the Office of Management and Budget.
The rollout of Reason Foundationís Annual Privatization Report 2011 begins with the release of the Federal Government Privatization section, authored by Reasonís Adam Summers and Anthony Randazzo.
View Resources by Type
- Establishing a Multimodal Freight Program in Florida
July 1, 2014, 2:03pm
- The Top Transportation Issues to Watch in 2013
January 8, 2013, 10:57am
- New at Reason: Review of Federal Privatization Issues in 2011 and Today
Leonard Gilroy and Harris Kenny
April 23, 2012, 11:59pm
- Branson Christens First-Ever Commercial Spaceport in New Mexico
October 18, 2011, 4:57pm
- New at Reason: Review of Federal Privatization Issues in 2010 and Today
February 16, 2011, 3:04pm
- NASA to Offer Kennedy Space Center Facilities to Private Aerospace Companies
February 6, 2011, 11:58pm
- Future of Space Program May Depend on Private Space Transportation
July 31, 2009, 10:37pm
- Privatization at NASA: The End of Government's Monopoly on Space Exploration?
May 10, 2009, 8:18am
Experts: Space Travel
- Baruch Feigenbaum
Transportation Policy Analyst
- Leonard Gilroy
Director of Government Reform
- David T. Hartgen
Senior Fellow, Reason Foundation
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Robert Poole
Searle Freedom Trust Transportation Fellow and Director of Transportation Policy
- Samuel Staley
- Shirley Ybarra
Senior Transportation Policy Analyst
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.