Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
LaGuardia and Reagan slots: picking winners and losers, PreCheck becoming more risk-based, Could privatization rescue Cleveland and Ontario airports?March 4, 2014
In this issue:
- LaGuardia and Reagan slots: picking winners and losers
- PreCheck becoming more risk-based
- Could privatization rescue Cleveland and Ontario airports?
- Santa Monica airport dodges another bullet
- Vulnerability in checkpoint X-ray systems?
- News Notes
- Quotable Quote
While the expansion of PreCheck is an important goal, the methods used to expand the program are problematic. Most troubling is the "Managed Inclusion" approach where Behavior Detection officers determine certain travelers are low-risk based on their behavior and do not conduct any kind of a background check .
PreCheck expansion raises questions, Central planning London's airport capacity, Battle over a second Atlanta airportJanuary 23, 2014
In this issue:
- PreCheck expansion raises questions
- Central planning London's airport capacity
- Battle over a second Atlanta airport
- More DHS mission creep
- Europe seeks to reduce airport subsidies
- News Notes
- Quotable Quotes
The recent budget agreement between the House and Senate increased the TSA per-passenger security fee from $2.50 per enplanement to a flat $5.60 per one-way trip. But while the old $2.50 per passenger fee was a user fee, part of the new $5.60 will be deposited in the general fund and is thus not a user fee.
In one of the hardest-hitting GAO reports ever, Congress's auditing organization has, in effect, said that the TSA's Screening of Passengers by Observation Techniques (SPOT ) program does not work and should be defunded.
TSA behavior-detection blasted by GAO, Airport slots and deregulation, Increased TSA security fee—or tax?December 4, 2013
In this issue:
- TSA behavior-detection blasted by GAO
- Airport slots and deregulation
- Increased TSA security fee—or tax?
- Expanding U.S. airport capacity
- Armed TSA screeners?
- News Notes
- Quotable Quotes
View Resources by Type
- PreCheck Expansion Raises Questions
January 29, 2014, 3:12pm
- Is the Increased TSA Security Fee Actually a Tax?
December 23, 2013, 9:45am
- TSA Behavior Detection Blasted by GAO
December 5, 2013, 10:40am
- How Government Wastes Our Time in Travel
October 30, 2013, 7:01am
- The Top Transportation Issues to Watch in 2013
January 8, 2013, 10:57am
- Airport Should Ditch Agency to Provide Better Security at a Lower Cost
December 14, 2012, 2:45pm
- 10 is Enough (Years for TSA): How to Provide Better Airport Security at a Lower Cost
November 21, 2012, 4:39pm
- Airport Screening Did Not Enable the 9/11 Attacks
October 8, 2012, 11:00pm
- House Homeland Security Committee Holds Hearings on Airport Security
July 11, 2012, 1:58pm
- Among Continued TSA Bungling, One Positive Sign
June 13, 2012, 3:15pm
- Private Screening Could Solve TSA Theft Issues
May 9, 2012, 1:36pm
- The Year 2011 in Surface Transportation and Aviation Privatization
April 26, 2012, 10:53am
- TSA's PreCheck Trusted Traveler Program Is a Good Idea, But Has Some Big Flaws
November 7, 2011, 12:01pm
- "Get Your Freak On" Baggage Screener Gets Disciplined by TSA
October 26, 2011, 9:57pm
- TSA Isn't Looking for Guns In Checked Luggage - And You Don't Want Them To Start
October 24, 2011, 3:32pm
- TSA Security Fee: Another Federal Revenue Grab
September 28, 2011, 9:16am
- Airport Policy and Security Newsletter: Airport Security 10 Years After 9/11
Taking Stock of Aviation Security Since 9/11
September 9, 2011, 2:54pm
- New at Reason: Annual Privatization Report 2010
February 10, 2011, 3:32pm
- TSA Blocks Private Screeners Despite Success and Good Reasons to Outsource Airport Security
January 31, 2011, 12:13pm
- Will Airports Punt TSA?
January 2, 2011, 6:48pm
- Piling On For Sanity in Airport Security?
December 27, 2010, 2:17pm
- The Case for Profiling Air Travelers
December 10, 2010, 11:38am
- Israeli air security experts insist their methods better than U.S.
November 27, 2010, 11:33pm
- It's Not About NO Airport Security, but BETTER Airport Security
November 27, 2010, 6:06pm
- TSA: Travel is a Privilege
November 26, 2010, 2:56pm
- Only 400 of 2,200 Body Scanners Are In Place at Airports So Outrage at TSA Likely to Grow as More Are Installed
November 24, 2010, 10:05pm
- TSA Pat Downs Kill
November 24, 2010, 12:48pm
- Robert Poole Talks Airport Security on CNBC
November 23, 2010, 10:54am
- Getting TSA Out of Passenger Screening
November 19, 2010, 2:03pm
- TSA Needs a Risk-Based Approach to Airport Security
November 17, 2010, 2:13pm
- Still Fighting the Last War on Air Cargo
November 2, 2010, 8:55pm
- Tarmac Delay Rule Will Cause Flight Cancellations
April 29, 2010, 8:40pm
- Get Government Out of the Airport Security Screening Business
April 9, 2010, 12:48pm
- Steps to Fix Airport Security
January 15, 2010, 12:20pm
- Is This the Oversight for Security We Need? 88 is the Same Number as Piano Keys
January 9, 2010, 10:54pm
- We're The TSA and You Can Count on Us!
January 7, 2010, 8:43pm
- Is TSA Two-Faced on Private Airport Screening?
January 7, 2010, 8:20pm
- Obama Settles for a Field Goal on National Security
January 7, 2010, 7:55pm
- How Israel Screens for Terrorists
January 6, 2010, 9:04pm
- More on (NOT) Unionizing Airport Security
January 6, 2010, 10:57am
- Unionize Airport Security? Yeah, That Will Help . . .
January 5, 2010, 7:07pm
- Laughing at US Airport Security
January 4, 2010, 11:50am
- Who is Watching the Watchmen?
January 2, 2010, 7:07am
- Fixing Airport Security--Not More, but Better
December 31, 2009, 6:19pm
- President Obama on Airport Security Failure
December 29, 2009, 6:12pm
- Flight 253 to Detroit Shows How Our Airport Security Lacks Focus
December 29, 2009, 11:10am
- Attempted Flight Bomber Was a Known Terrorist and Was Allowed to Fly
December 26, 2009, 2:54pm
- How Might TSA Screw Up Repair Stations?
December 2, 2009, 5:34pm
- Airport Security (Lack Thereof) or the Right Methods?
November 9, 2009, 10:46am
- Improving Transportation Security
September 17, 2009, 1:14pm
- Registered Traveler Breakthrough Would Improve Airport Security
June 16, 2009, 3:45pm
- TSA Coming Up Short on Cargo Checks
March 17, 2009, 10:46am
- Who Is Going to Pay for Air Cargo Screening?
February 6, 2009, 12:17pm
- Good News and Bad News on Trusted Traveler
August 18, 2008, 8:53pm
- TSA Doesn't Look Into Airport Security Screener Failures
August 13, 2008, 1:11pm
- Registered Traveler Computer Loss: Much Ado About (Almost) Nothing
August 6, 2008, 9:07am
- Feds Want to Search Your Laptop and Cell Phone
March 5, 2008, 12:48pm
- Laugh or cry at airport security?
October 24, 2007, 6:30am
- Conflict of Interest Still a Live Issue for TSA
December 9, 2006, 8:45pm
- Do Dems promise worse aviation security?
November 27, 2006, 5:44am
- New at Reason.org: Aviation Security Gets an "F"
January 30, 2006, 11:34am
- Air Traffic Control Newsletter #110
The ATC cross-subsidy dilemma, Controversy over controller hiring and training, Another real-time aviation weather project
February 4, 2014
- Airport Policy and Security News #98
LaGuardia and Reagan slots: picking winners and losers, PreCheck becoming more risk-based, Could privatization rescue Cleveland and Ontario airports?
March 4, 2014
Experts: Airport Security
- Baruch Feigenbaum
Transportation Policy Analyst
- Leonard Gilroy
Director of Government Reform
- David T. Hartgen
Senior Fellow, Reason Foundation
- Zongzhi Li
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Robert Poole
Searle Freedom Trust Transportation Fellow and Director of Transportation Policy
- Samuel Staley
- Shirley Ybarra
Senior Transportation Policy Analyst
RSS Feeds: Airport Security
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.