Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Subsection of Annual Privatization Report 2013: Local Government PrivatizationMay 6, 2013
This subsection of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013: Local Government Privatization reviews failing attempts to implement municipal broadband.
Privatization trends in local, state and federal government, plus roads, highways, aviation, education, telecom and moreApril 1, 2013
Now in its 26th year of publication, Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report is the world's longest running and most comprehensive report on privatization news, developments and trends.
Annual Privatization Report 2013 (APR 2013) details the latest on privatization and government reform initiatives at all levels of government. The individual sections, which will be released in the weeks ahead, include:
- Air Transportation
- Surface Transportation
- Federal Government Privatization
- State Government Privatization
- Local Government Privatization
- Criminal Justice and Corrections
Funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), commonly known as the $787-billion stimulus enacted in 2009, financed public broadband buildouts in areas already served by commercial service providers.
According to an AP story out of Buffalo, N.Y., federal agents armed with assault weapons stormed a residence in the early morning hours last month looking for child porn on a home PC. The homeowner, whom the article did not identify, was roughed up and forced to the floor at gunpoint while agents accused him of being a creep and pervert.
Telecommunications Chapter of Annual Privatization Report 2010February 25, 2011
- IT outsourcing in state governments,
- Cloud computing and the future of IT outsourcing,
- the national Network Neutrality debate, and
- an analysis of the FCC's new National Broadband Plan.
View Resources by Type
- Muni Broadband: The Idea that Won't Die
January 30, 2012, 5:17pm
- Yep, the Broadband Stimulus Funded Overbuilds
May 4, 2011, 4:16pm
- How Long Before Someone Dies Because of an Unsecured Wireless Router?
April 26, 2011, 11:48am
- Report: Poorest States Rank Highest in Broadband Competition
April 27, 2010, 12:00pm
- VP Biden on Broadband "Information Overline"
July 1, 2009, 7:55pm
- Billions In Stimulus Going to Broadband Projects
March 20, 2009, 11:17am
- It All Depends on What the Meaning of the Word "Unserved" Is
March 11, 2009, 2:03pm
- It Is Broadband Stimulus Day in D.C.
March 10, 2009, 7:36am
- Will The Stimulus Kill Smart Ideas for Rural Broadband?
March 5, 2009, 2:36pm
- Congress Approves Broadband to Nowhere
February 10, 2009, 5:00pm
- FCC Cancels Meeting on AWS-3 Auction
December 14, 2008, 11:32am
- DTV Transition Illustrates Video Competition
March 30, 2008, 9:59am
- California Proposes ëBroadband Bondsí
February 10, 2008, 10:21am
- Details of Corpus Christiís Muni Wireless Deal
September 23, 2007, 7:33am
- Chicago Scraps Muni WiFi
August 27, 2007, 6:00pm
- Muni Wireless's Not So Free Lunch
August 6, 2007, 2:09pm
- A Lesson Plan for Public Colleges
July 7, 2007, 8:04pm
- Forget college, what you need is free WiFi
May 13, 2007, 3:27pm
- Civitium Breaks with the Muni Left
February 18, 2007, 12:14pm
- You Donít Need Municipal Broadband To do Telemedicine
December 6, 2006, 2:40pm
- Westchester Candidate Sees Cellular as a Public Utility
November 5, 2006, 7:59am
- Moyers makes a poor case
October 18, 2006, 2:32pm
- Bill Moyers Takes on the Net
October 16, 2006, 1:03pm
- More Municipal Wi-Fi Pie in the Sky
September 25, 2006, 3:01pm
- What do China and Culver City Have in Common?
August 29, 2006, 7:42am
- Lafayette Muni Plan Dealt Another Blow
August 13, 2006, 1:40pm
- WiFi Fever Hits Windy City
May 30, 2006, 1:13pm
- Another Unpleasant Muni Surprise
May 22, 2006, 7:03pm
- Chicken Little and "Net Neutrality"
May 12, 2006, 4:28pm
- Will Philadelphia Wireless Collapse of its own Weight?
March 12, 2006, 9:30am
- Minneapolis returns to its senses
February 24, 2006, 12:00pm
- Wi-Fi Fever Across the Pond
February 22, 2006, 4:04pm
- Canadian University Bans WiFi as Health Risk
February 21, 2006, 1:59pm
- Limping in Lompoc
February 21, 2006, 11:25am
- More Subtle Shifts in Municipal Broadband
February 20, 2006, 8:32am
- The Dogma of Municipal WiFi
February 9, 2006, 10:49am
- A Municipal Wireless Snapshot
January 22, 2006, 2:16pm
- Municipal Wireless In Name Only
January 19, 2006, 8:50am
- Court deals Lafayette Fiber Plan a big setback
January 17, 2006, 8:19am
- Portland Floats $470-Million Muni Fiber Plan
January 12, 2006, 3:33pm
- Too Much of a Good Thing?
January 12, 2006, 9:48am
- Yes, Let There Be WiFi
January 4, 2006, 3:36pm
- San Francisco takes municipal wireless to a whole new level
December 26, 2005, 10:26am
- A Sure Cure For Those Mayoral Blues
December 12, 2005, 1:28pm
- New at Reason.org
November 30, 2005, 8:22am
Experts: Municipal Broadband and WiFi
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Steven Titch
RSS Feeds: Municipal Broadband and WiFi
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.