Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
The introduction of “plain packaging” has done little to reduce demand for cigarettes in AustraliaMay 30, 2014
In 2011, Australia’s government introduced legislation mandating that cigarettes be sold in “plain packages” (i.e., without brand logos and colors). The legislation came into effect in late 2012. Unfortunately, plain packaging’s effects appear to have been less than desirable. Other countries contemplating the introduction of plain packaging would be well advised to postpone any decision until its effects in Australia are better understood.
Washington State and New Jersey Legislatures Consider Massive Taxes on E-Cigarettes That Would Perpetuate Smoking
Punitive taxes would discourage smokers from switching to a safer alternative, harming public healthMarch 11, 2014
Washington State and New Jersey are currently considering budget proposals that would impose additional taxes on e-cigarettes. These taxes would discourage smokers from switching, thereby ensuring that many more people continue to smoke cigarettes, which are far more harmful.
The European Union's new e-cigarette rules will reduce competition, slow innovation and prevent smokers from switching to safer, vaporized nicotine.
Not only does the Los Angeles City Council's move to ban e-cigarettes run counter to public opinion, it would also set back public health by implicitly discouraging smokers from seeking safer alternatives.
View Resources by Type
- Proposed WA & NJ E-Cigarette Taxes Would Perpetuate Smoking
March 12, 2014, 12:20am
- New European Union Rules Will Hold Back Tobacco Harm Reduction
February 27, 2014, 4:22pm
- Proposed L.A. E-Cigarette Ban Would Perpetuate Smoking, Not Discourage It
February 21, 2014, 1:57pm
- Privatization & Government Reform Newsletter #3 (Jan 2014 edition)
January 29, 2014, 5:31pm
- E-Cigarette Regulations Likely to Harm Anti-Smoking Efforts, Yet NYC Still Considers Ban
December 16, 2013, 2:20pm
- California E-Cigarette Bill Not Based On Evidence
July 12, 2013, 3:11pm
- Obama’s Cigarette Tax Will Hurt the Poor While Enriching Politicians’ Friends
April 12, 2013, 2:18pm
- Louisiana HB 63 Goes Up In Smoke
May 16, 2011, 7:00pm
- Taxes Inducing Black Market Trade for Cigarettes
April 19, 2011, 2:10pm
- Once Again, Raising Taxes Reduces Revenue
July 28, 2010, 9:46am
- Smoking, Plain Packaging and Public Health (5/30)
- Proposed WA & NJ E-Cigarette Taxes Would Perpetuate Smoking (3/12)
- Washington State and New Jersey Legislatures Consider Massive Taxes on E-Cigarettes That Would Perpetuate Smoking (3/11)
- New European Union Rules Will Hold Back Tobacco Harm Reduction (2/27)
- Proposed L.A. E-Cigarette Ban Would Perpetuate Smoking, Not Discourage It (2/21)
Experts: Smoking Bans and Tobacco
- Brian Doherty
- Nick Gillespie
Editor in Chief, Reason.com and Reason TV
- Katherine Mangu-Ward
Managing Editor, Reason
- Jacob Sullum
- Jesse Walker
RSS Feeds: Smoking Bans and Tobacco
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.