Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Ownership of TVA should be transferred to the states it servesApril 17, 2014
Kudos to the Obama Administration and its proposed fiscal year 2015 budget for continuing “to believe that reducing or eliminating the federal government’s role in programs such as TVA [the Tennessee Valley Authority], which have achieved their original objectives, can help mitigate risk to taxpayers.” The TVA remains a government-sponsored enterprise, despite being the largest power generator in the United States—hardly a core government function given the robust private marketplace in electricity.
California failing to learn from pastOctober 25, 2005
California has never experienced true energy deregulation. The "deregulation" implemented in 1996 left price controls in place and created "artificial" markets ripe for manipulation and mismatches between supply and demand. By setting price caps below market prices, California limited the profitability of the industry.
View Resources by Type
- Reason's Len Gilroy Talks TVA Privatization, Annual Privatization Report on Heartland Institute Podcast
May 23, 2013, 3:54pm
- Like Obama said, Privatize the TVA!
April 29, 2013, 2:03pm
- The Facts Behind EPA's Greenhouse Gas Regulations
April 3, 2012, 5:35pm
- Americans Remain Supportive of Natural Gas
March 23, 2012, 12:21pm
- Evergreen Solar Follows Solyndra's Lead
March 14, 2012, 1:28pm
- EPA's Fuzzy Math
February 17, 2012, 12:42pm
- Deregulation of Nuclear Power Saves Money and Reduces Pollution
August 3, 2011, 2:23pm
- Remember Electricity Deregulation? In Texas, it is Still Working.
January 28, 2010, 1:07pm
- The Real Climate Change Deniers
June 25, 2009, 11:39pm
- First They Came For The Light Bulbs
March 23, 2009, 3:51pm
- Obama on TVA: Time to Transfer to Help Mitigate Risk to Taxpayer (4/17)
- The Highest Paid Federal Employee Is Not the President (1/9)
- Obama and Reagan Agree: Divest the Tennessee Valley Authority (10/8)
- Cronyism Threatens California Condors (8/1)
- Reason's Len Gilroy Talks TVA Privatization, Annual Privatization Report on Heartland Institute Podcast (5/23)
- Ronald Bailey
- Shikha Dalmia
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Julian Morris
Vice President, Research
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.